front bearings/hubs; any brands to avoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You believe that?

Yes I do. I spent 10 years selling aftermarket parts to people. Saw a lot of junk come back. Wouldn't put anything with MOOG stamped on it on my wheelbarrow. About the only one I'd trust is SKF. The warranty on the Motorcraft parts seems to be as good or better than the aftermarket stuff in a lot of cases.

I work at a dealership now, and for my situation, and price I paid it was well worth it!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The warranty often means little as far as quality goes today but I do like a longer warranty if I do have to swap it out later.

Moog used to b every good quality rivaling oem and often even better with grease fittings.
They went to pot years ago.

I certainly wouldn't make a blanket statement that you can't go wrong wit motorcraft.
People certainly have problems and early failures of motorcraft too.

Def helps to get a good discount.
I have had a lot of commercial accounts and they really vary over the years.
I was getting 30% off walk in price at the local ford dealer from around 2000-2009 or so.
I used to have a local sears (I know a joke right) who had an older guy there that knew how to align cars and was meticulous and I could get a front end alignment for 39.99!! This was until about 2010.
They gave me 25% off walk in price for tires too.

Not as good of discounts now, so I don't buy as much and they don't do the volume so they can't offer as good of discounts and the cycle continues to degrade!

Many of these places are putting are putting the nails in their own coffins with local brick and mortar by gouging and not taking care of long time high volume customers.
But they are the big companies grossing millions and know everything...right??

I always remember this each time a company closes or files bankruptcy or gets bought out from doing so poorly....They are sooo smart.
I'm still here, they are not.

I keep doing what I have been doing and move on to the next company that treats me better than.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s pics of my 2007 OE MotorCraft that was from RockAuto I believe. Made in USA. Should be marked FoMoCo or you were sold a counterfeit part, common thing these days.

0A6E3148-756F-4909-8F08-82B075D0C471.jpeg
259F42D9-FA5E-41F6-A935-389317F2387C.jpeg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The Motorcraft "Service Replacement" sold by Rock Auto last week for my Explorer said "Made in China" on the Motorcraft box.

Nice knowing, at least for now, our Expeditions enjoy a higher standard.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Motorcraft "Service Replacement" sold by Rock Auto last week for my Explorer said "Made in China" on the Motorcraft box.

Nice knowing, at least for now, our Expeditions enjoy a higher standard.
It's really kind of a shame they're doing this two tier levels of parts with Motorcraft brand on them. The service replacement being cheaper price and cheaper quality and then the full-fledged Motorcraft. Most people won't know and they'll just see the Motorcraft name and they'll buy the cheap one and who knows if it's much better than some other brand that could get and save a lot more dough.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to my vehicle I generally try to fix it right or don’t fix it at all. Generally I avoid cheap crap and service level replacements. Good A/M or OEM. When my blower motor went out this summer I couldn’t find one that wasn’t made in China or Taiwan with a smaller than stock flimsy blower wheel. Every single one. It is in there tight with the rubber soundproofing on our floors and I didn’t want to do it twice if the A/M was bad or too weak. I ordered from Ford the MC replacement and low and behold it was made in USA with the proper big blower wheel. I did pay double the $$ for this oem blower than an A/M but it’s been great so far. Motorcraft parts have done me no wrong.

769962B3-8D19-4FA8-A4CC-24B1349CD34B.jpeg
EF9FDFDE-32A1-4535-AEB8-65F91A3FE931.jpeg

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do that for hard to replace items too. But for the easy to do ones I buy the cheap ones.
Usually the cheapest with lifetime warranty.

Sway bar end links for instance....They are a RIP-OFF at parts stores.
I can get them for 5-6 bucks each online, they want almost 40.

I can put one on in under 12 minutes start to finish so I see no reason to have a better one.
They do nothing really but keep the sway bar from rattling around anyway..Lol

Not like they are a safety issue (I'm sure a garage would have you believe it though)
I have never put a motorcraft blower motor in a car but have done dozens of them.
Never had a replacement go out either and most have lifetime warranty.
Can't say I had a replacement one for like 10 years though..
Usually on the cars we get, the original lasts 2-5 years and we replace with 4 seasons, everco factory air or whatever they are called now or whatever the parts store has for like 46.00 and it is still in there when we get rid of car in the next 5 years.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad hub bearings can be deceiving. I had a bad one on my explorer and would have bet anything it was coming from the front. Even taking curves affected the sound of the bearing which was coming from the front. Wrong, the shop put it on a lift, had it in gear with all four tires spinning and it ended up being a rear bearing. They used one of those stethoscope things. The noise and feel was transferring up through the drivetrain to the front end. This was an explorer with 4x4 auto.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if I have a gift for this, but I've been able to diagnose several bad wheel bearings in different cars/trucks just by listening to it (with or without 4WD). It becomes very obvious at higher highway speeds, specially when you accelerate/decelerate and the tone of the noise changes.

As for Motorcraft OE parts, I have mixed feelings. Yes, it is always best to buy the genuine item, but if the price is 2x or 3x more for the OEM name brand, then I might go for the "second best".

After all, if the "Motorcraft part" was so damn indestructible, you wouldn't need to be replacing it... right?

;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971