Front Passenger power port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCalStig

Reaction score
Good morning. I would like to swap out the standard power port on the passenger side of the center console. I found a 2.1A + 2.1A dual USB unit on ebay that I would like to replace the standard cigarette lighter style with. My only concern is that it appears that the power port is always hot, and the face of this dual USB unit lights up. As my Expy (2006 Limited 4X4) sits for a couple of weeks at a time between drives, I don't want to put any more of a drain on the batter than is already there from the security system.

My question is this: Is there a way to have the passenger side power port only receive power when the key is in the ACC or ON positions?

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing anyone's thoughts.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
easy solution would be to unplug the usb port
Yes it can be done but requires more work and a wiring diagram

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can add a switch to the circuit when you add the port. Search for ExplorerTom's build in the first gen section. IIRC he did a setup like this that looks/works nicely inside the truck.

OP
OP
S

SoCalStig

Reaction score
Gentlemen. Good morning, and thank you for your quick replies. I had hoped that this nice hard wired dual USB would be a good solution for powering devices in a nice, flush package. Seems now like it will be more work than I may want to put into it (ie, putting in a switch). I will probably just go with a plug in version that has the dual 2.1A USB ports.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the port on the side stays on 3 hrs after vehicle turns off...the port in the coin tray stays on constant...

OP
OP
S

SoCalStig

Reaction score
10K,
Thank you for that info. Do you know which way the port for the 2nd row seats operates (3 hour or constant)?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10K,
Thank you for that info. Do you know which way the port for the 2nd row seats operates (3 hour or constant)?

i know its not constant...not sure of how long it stays active if at all one vehicle turns off

OP
OP
S

SoCalStig

Reaction score
10K,
Thank you. I will have to check it out with a charger, flashlight or something plugged into it to test.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have one of these. There is no light and you do indeed get 2.1A per port simultaneously. The same guy sells them on eBay as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1