Front passenger-side axle shaft seal seep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK...I'm getting an occasional dime-size drip on the garage floor from the area of the front passenger-side axle shaft seal. I've done a search and got lots of good info on DIY replacement, etc.

My question is is this an emergency "gotta get it fixed immediately" kinda thing? Since I rarely put it into 4WD (maybe once every two years) is there any harm in continuing to drive in 2WD until I get around to the seal replacement?

The ExpyFront Axle Shaft Seal.jpg is not our everyday means of transportation...maybe gets out once a week in winter, but is our prime mover during summer camping season.

Thanks!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an emergency by any means, if it worries you check and keep the axle fluid topped off. My 2007 front axle seeps worse than that, don’t feel like fixing it until it starts leaking everywhere. If it was the rear axle I’d be more concerned, but most of the time the front isn’t even spinning so I just top off the diff here and there.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just had mine replace 2 weeks ago for a slight seepage issue. About a 2" circle over a day or two. Shop put in a new seal. A few days later I noticed a 6" circle of fluid. Checked a sure enough, it was the new seal. They fixed it for free yesterday. The problem was the aftermarket seal they installed the 1st time. The seal was seated at an angle in the housing. They installed a genuine Ford seal this time. No leaks. Only a $20 seal so don't cheap out on an eBay special when it comes to fluid boundaries. Picture is the first leaking seal.

Wt-uWFzgImHk_A5Zqk0Vu3wI2s764PjKhPuy2mIgSAn_b3yVcCVNjb1PKF02OAxcgmIXw3UjBj8EHC131ANMUnPec1-ft7x90TZN0IkZ5zbDsSOQhu_LgDNK3zJQYE10euMbpYm7dpVoLoIiiOMnmH4akWtMLZ69svr6ytdlHJTnxaWcyhm46wFEcip9v-vip7aAj2wjUP3hf_eNC6Rszw891jTCb_sFk02OQfu4F9ba4fIxg7vfIJTvnrkRXcNl8DW1c3nnZNe89FcWPmoPOkwpLO6irE9cyIon4qqbY9-hFqdXMli5bcMqy-ZB97UOhRTkdpcZTgJBo6ghw81onXWZdqKO1GylxQ_0yS1e5BreRvRkxMoXzTTu5oyfflGEwR0QjYG6gzRL8qXLuRhaaMOddAYZCeJwPhOqoTzwbxxQ4loxEPea9sKN99WYYy4MOZENB4znksDHN300pBcFaEaA3YBpPSe3_gGCJNE0gTRO1EPfq8tV_K9PJDmeiQqZS1h7QGZWqqNW80eUVcM0TlD-e5Nwuc1O9XhJN68IwB-_6-tBGrwauh0HPBuW0yxO8Z5g0VipfRv7IebBhKhGfFyDk_UNL2BrBIX1ILmIz_D1IKZTxVBRdC18JCOh_DO_8oLZqoYe7yf_6Od6u7wlBynwJvOYLBd5jC0hE_x57rucOyZreogYntI=w1168-h877-no

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No it was installed correctly. This was the rubber not seated inside the seals metal housing correctly. It was cocked a little from the factory in China. I buy a lot of aftermarket myself, but this was so cheap from Ford.