Front speakers connected wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 navigator with the THX audio system. We had a rattle in the driver door when the volume was turned up. The dealer replaced the speaker.

Ever since then, the mids sound horrible. They are extremely muddy to the point its hard to even understand what people are saying at some mid-range frequencies. The only way I could adjust the system to cut down on the muddiness is to fade halfway to the rear.

I am not an audiophile by any means, but I'm thinking the dealership may have connected the front speakers improperly somehow. Any clues? How do I go about checking this?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TC16XLT

Reaction score
2015 navigator with the THX audio system. We had a rattle in the driver door when the volume was turned up. The dealer replaced the speaker.

Ever since then, the mids sound horrible. They are extremely muddy to the point its hard to even understand what people are saying at some mid-range frequencies. The only way I could adjust the system to cut down on the muddiness is to fade halfway to the rear.

I am not an audiophile by any means, but I'm thinking the dealership may have connected the front speakers improperly somehow. Any clues? How do I go about checking this?

Might want to check the polarity they wired it back up at. Sounds reversed to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TC16XLT

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but how would I do that? Do I locate the amp first?

Your simplest manner is to take the door card off, and just reverse the wires. If it sounds clear, then you've found your culprit. You can also look up the wiring diagram for the 08 Navi, and check them. There are sets of speaker connectors out there that are actually wired backwards, and have to be reversed. How do I know? I have 2 sets that had that very problem. Metra and Scosche both had their Ford speaker connectors reversed. I'm attaching the two I refer to in my 2016 expi. They may, or may not apply to the Navi., But as long as the wire colors match, you're heading in the right direction.449e50b52762567041ccdee77bfaef4f.jpgc385546bb7b91293a92660490f9fa9b9.gif

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk