Front Wheel Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alcgraham

Reaction score
I have a 2004 4wd Expedition with 215,000 miles on it. We just replaced the front brakes and rotors a week or so ago and today I noticed that there is a noise coming from the front right wheel when driving, then when reversing it makes quieter noise. Other than that it drives fine. Any suggestions? Wheel bearings?

Thank you!

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A wheel bearing will sound like a grind or chuckle.
Did you disconnect the knuckle while you did the brake job for some reason, and re-engage the splines correctly when re-assembling? Did the vacuum line for the IWE (4x4 hub) get disconnected? Is the vacuum line to the IWE getting vacuum while the engine is running? If the IWE is not getting vacuum, or if it is leaking vacuum, the hub will fully or partially engage, and will make a clicking sound or worse.
Could also be a problem w the parts used for the brake job (some cheap rotors come "pre-warped" for you), or mistakes on reassembly, but rare with a straightforward job like that.

OP
OP
A

alcgraham

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. My husband has changed the brakes several times on this car so I doubt he did anything different than what he has done before. I have had the IWE problem a few years ago so I did check that and that is not it. The noise is loudest when driving slowly, but no other issues. Hmmm.