Fuel Economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Are you getting the approximately 30% increase in mileage with premium you would need to offset $0.60? I will agree premium usually yields a couple miles per gallon mower but I have never seen it actually equal out to the same price in fuel forever become a better price per mile.
The biggest problem is how the industry and gas stations have gotten together to rip us off on the grades of fuel. It used to be $0.05 extra for each one and then just a few years ago it was $0.10 extra. Now almost every station you see is $0.30 extra. There is no justification for that. Just greed. Are the people buying premium Ashley subsidizing and keeping gas prices lower for the regular great users? I doubt it. They can keep that crap.

When I did the math, it was closer to 40% on the highway. The local costco in NJ was .55 or so more per gallon over regular for Premium. Highway MPG went from 17-18 up to 24 & change. Oh yeah I remember the days of a .10 increase per grade & .80 for a gallon of regular. unfortunately those days are gone with the dodo...

AvaChava

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited 4WD with 10,000 miles on it. My gas mileage is no where near the stated numbers. I'm averaging 14.5 with combined driving. I usually see about 13 around town, and 17 on the hwy. The highest number I ever saw was 21, and that was on a fresh tank and a long downhill stretch. I do not have a lead foot at all, and have tried regular and premium fuel. Over 6,000 of the 10,000 miles is open road, and my average is still this low. The dealer flippantly told me I should not believe the EPA estimates since those come from the government, not Ford. Anyone else experiencing poor fuel economy?
Our used (33k mi.) ‘18 4wd Limited gave us 19.9 mpg on 87 octane last weekend. Wife usually gets 1 or 2 mpg better than me but she cruised between 65 to 75 most of the way on our road trip. Mixed driving during about 20% from Birmingham to SE AL. OAT was mid-50’s, which reduces the amount of down-shifting on moderate hills. Little or no winds, fairly light baggage, tires at spec, refueled during cool morning. Yes, it does help. Fuel is slightly more dense in AM. Oh, one more factor: the longer you stay in lower gears the worse mileage. Without “jack-rabbiting”, we try for moderate acceleration that gets you into those tall, 9th & 10th gears. Good luck!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible that the lower gas mileage on a 4th gen, can be due to a overly rich running system. I'd bring it to a smog or shop that can measure your fuel trim. If it's supposed to avg 17-18, and your eeking out 12, something's wrong there. The heavy 14 passenger Transit I drive in the mornings only gets 8-9 city, 12-13 highway. And that's with a 3.5 or 3.7 non turbo. I did the math and saw they weigh less than the Expedition, around 4700-4900lbs. Even with 5-8 passengers it still shouldn't get 8. But they all do. I've driven at least 20 different vans, and when the mileage thingy is set, that's what reads out. Fuel is paid for by Ford, so who cares, but if I used one of these for my own, that would suck!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I did the math, it was closer to 40% on the highway. The local costco in NJ was .55 or so more per gallon over regular for Premium. Highway MPG went from 17-18 up to 24 & change. Oh yeah I remember the days of a .10 increase per grade & .80 for a gallon of regular. unfortunately those days are gone with the dodo...

I've just never seen premium go from 17- 24. Typically more like 17-19 or 20.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby don't you know theirs always that one guy that says his car or truck gets phenomenal mileage. I remember my brother in law used to say his big ole 1970's Cadillac got 18 mpg. When I pumped him for more info, that was on a long Freeway trip, and driving at 55mph. His in town was 10! It's human nature to one up the other guy. My cars faster, my girls prettier, etc,etc. Everyone wants to be an Elvis, or a George Clooney when they walk into a room. Ever notice how all heads turn to the door at a bar, when someone comes through the door? Must be from watching those old westerns! When I drove a cab years back, I never saw more liars in one building in my life. I'd average $250.00 in fares, $100.00 to $120.00 in my pocket, but others would brag about $400.00 to $500.00 days. Yeah right!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. You're definitely right about speed and horsepower and stuff I had an uncle that was that way about gas mileage too. I'm the other way. I tell them I'm a poor white orphan boy. I get 8-9 in the city and it never sees 10. On the highway I've actually seen it crack 15. I can't afford to drive very far. Don't ask me to drive...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's funny when you tell people my Suv gets 9-10 mpg, they look at you like your successful, and have Bill Gates money. Never seen a woman yet get exicted when you say I drive a Prius. Now a Corvette or Ferrari, that will get you laid! Especially a red one.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brother-in=law bragged about his chevy pickup getting such good mileage, and it did. I went to visit pulling my camper that was only about 6,000#. He said he couldn't pull that much weight. The reason was that his great mileage truck was a V6 and he wanted to make it seem equal to my Expedition. Different comparisons sometimes.