Fuel Economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDRogers

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited 4WD with 10,000 miles on it. My gas mileage is no where near the stated numbers. I'm averaging 14.5 with combined driving. I usually see about 13 around town, and 17 on the hwy. The highest number I ever saw was 21, and that was on a fresh tank and a long downhill stretch. I do not have a lead foot at all, and have tried regular and premium fuel. Over 6,000 of the 10,000 miles is open road, and my average is still this low. The dealer flippantly told me I should not believe the EPA estimates since those come from the government, not Ford. Anyone else experiencing poor fuel economy?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can depend on driving habits, climate, elevation,etc. this is why they say mpg will vary

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In California I'd expect climate and elevation to be near optimal for fuel economy - that leaves driving habits and malfunction. Any chance you can post a video of your dash as you go from one light to another, or as you cruise on the highway? Put it on the instantaneous fuel economy and we'll see what it looks like... as you can imagine, everyone's definition of "lead foot" is different!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited 4WD with 10,000 miles on it. My gas mileage is no where near the stated numbers. I'm averaging 14.5 with combined driving. I usually see about 13 around town, and 17 on the hwy. The highest number I ever saw was 21, and that was on a fresh tank and a long downhill stretch. I do not have a lead foot at all, and have tried regular and premium fuel. Over 6,000 of the 10,000 miles is open road, and my average is still this low. The dealer flippantly told me I should not believe the EPA estimates since those come from the government, not Ford. Anyone else experiencing poor fuel economy?

This is exactly why I complain about the new v6 turbo engines and "technology".
My wife is a jack rabbit take off driver and her 2001 got what you are getting.

If hers was aluminum and lighter and had a 6 speed transmission I could only assume it would get better than it does. So the low hp BUT MORE than we have EVER wanted or needed 5.4 could still be in the new ones in my opinion....BUT the world is ALL ABOUT change and "improvements" and messing with crap because they are bored.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are your numbers hand calculated? Are you changing your drive modes as well? What are your speeds when driving on the hwy? City mileage is iffy but you can get 17 out her in eco mode and light takeoffs. Also, hwy speed drastically effects fe. Though mines is 2wd, it is wholly achievable to get rele good numbers, but i also know my truck enough to know when my numbers are gonna change. I wouldnt expect a 4wd to get much worse than mines. For reference, highest ive reached and maintained on the hwy was 30mpg avg 60mph and lowest was 19mpg avg 75mph. If your driving styles are changing but fe is not, there mayb something wrong with your fuel delivery system

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect four wheel drive vehicle to get much less maybe two miles per gallon at most and not so much on a higher figure than a two-wheel drive.
There's not that much extra weight in four-wheel drive and everything should be, if it's designed properly, disconnected and the only thing turning should be the outer wheel bearing.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that there’s a big jump in mileage once the engine and transmission are warm. We do lots of short trips and our average fuel economy (per the trip computer) is about 12...

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a guess here. What percentage of ethanol in the gas? Ethanol has less energy per volume. The more ethanol the worse gas mileage you will get.

Also have you checked your tires air pressure? My mileage has gone down this winter. Sure enough my tire pressure was down but not enough to get a warning.

Also verify your gas mileage by manual calculation. Maybe there is something wrong the algorithm or sensors in the dash calculation?

My 17 EL with 6 speed is averaging 17.5 in mixed driving and having to warm it up in the morning here. I was averaging nearly 19 this summer. Had many miles on 55mph roads.

Forgot to mention the more above 70mph on the highway I go it drops the mpg significantly.

Your mpg is much lower than others with the 10speed on this forum.