Fuel Filter Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swmpbgy1

Reaction score
Greetings......

I need to change the fuel filter on my 07 Expy EL......Several questions.

1. Where is the fuel filter located?
2. What is the tool I've read about that makes it so easy to remove the filter and where can I buy one??
3. How do I relieve the fuel pressure? If on the fuel rail, where is it located? or do you remove the fuel pump fuse/relay and start the truck and let it run till it dies? If by the fuse/relay method, where is the fuse/relay located?

Thanks in advance..........
Swmpbgy1

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the fuel filter is located right above thee front edge of the fuel tank and the tool should be available from most autoparts stores.

skidog

Reaction score
just be careful when tring to get blue clips off do not break it .. the center of the clip pulls out then push the outer part of clip in and pull .. i only say this because i just replaced my fuel pump.. hint it still runs like total crap ..

OP
OP
S

Swmpbgy1

Reaction score
Well I finally changed the filter, however, I did manage to break the primary retaining clips on the outboard side of the filter. One was red and the other wasn't there, so I'm not sure of the color.

Called the dealership to get the clips....parts guy says I have to buy the entire fuel line to get the clips....Is this true??

If not, does anyone have a part number for the clips???

Swmpbgy.........

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I finally changed the filter, however, I did manage to break the primary retaining clips on the outboard side of the filter. One was red and the other wasn't there, so I'm not sure of the color.

Called the dealership to get the clips....parts guy says I have to buy the entire fuel line to get the clips....Is this true??

If not, does anyone have a part number for the clips???

Swmpbgy.........

try your local "U Pull it lot", or a parts store as they're standard fuel line retainers.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
S

Swmpbgy1

Reaction score
try your local "U Pull it lot", or a parts store as they're standard fuel line retainers.

PanHandler.

The secondary clips are readily available at the local parts store....(the black and white clips), but the primary clips....the red and blue ones are not available at local parts stores. I'd be afraid that the ones at junk yards would be just as brittle as the ones that I removed.....and broke.

Swmpbgy