Fuel Filter replacement, whoops!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stanger4Life

Reaction score
Hello ,

I have a 2005 Ford Expy XLT. Months ago I decided to change the fuel filter since I had recently bought my expy around 55K miles at that time, and knew most things haven't been serviced yet due to the low miles. Having done enough ford fuel filter replacements, I figured it would be just the standard fuel line locks which you can use the tool on (or the end of a sharpie pen, which I've done before). What I didn't realize is that only applied to one side, the other side is that colored pull out pin and push release. Well...instead of stopping and really understanding how these work I kept trying to figure it out. I got the inner plastic tab to pop out, however most of tab broke off when trying to figure out how to get the line off and then I was dumb and pushed the piece back in. I think I might be able to get some locking pliers/vice grips on it to pull it back out. But If I can't, where does the other end of the fuel line go? (Guessing to the fuel tank), because I have a feeling if the tab is too far gone I'm going to have to replace that whole fuel line in order to get the fuel filter out and put a new one in.

If anyone has any other advice I would appreciate it. I have my motorcraft fuel filter just sitting in the box doing nothing.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did your fuel filter look like this one ? This is from my '03 Expy. The blue buttons on the connectors are simple push-to-release connectors. No tool required. Just push the blue buttons in to release the connectors from the fuel filter.

-Mike

FordFuelFilter_zpse5119c19.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stanger4Life

Reaction score
Did your fuel filter look like this one ? This is from my '03 Expy. The blue buttons on the connectors are simple push-to-release connectors. No tool required. Just push the blue buttons in to release the connectors from the fuel filter.

-Mike

FordFuelFilter_zpse5119c19.jpg

No, they are not the same in 05. There is only one inlet/outlet on them too.

Looks like this (the inside tab pry's out, then you need to push the outer ring in and pull line off, I pry'd too hard and broke the fat piece of the inside off).

hqdefault.jpg