Fuel pressure regulator swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to change the stock fuel pressure regulator. The stock one looks like it's actually built into the fuel rail as an assembly and not replaceable. With my supercharger install project, I need to install an adjustable aftermarket regulator with a 1:1 pressure ratio.

Am I supposed to change the rail with a different one that lets you unbolt the regulator? Maybe from a mustang?

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, I've been learned a little bit today... I think I understand the fuel system much better now. Looks like its a mechanical returnless system. Also looks like the filter has a built in return line to keep the pump flowing and cool since it provides much more fuel than is actually being used by the engine. The fuel rail has the snap ring style mounted "damper" that looks exactly like a pressure regulator, but it isn't actually controlling the fuel pressure. The fuel pressure should be controlled by a regulator that is mounted inside the fuel tank, in the pump/sending unit assembly.

If all this is a fact, then it's going to be a little more tricky to control the fuel pressure under boost. I'll have to modify the fuel system more than expected. I found a nice article on modifying the internal tank regulator to force it to go full pressure, swap pumps with the high flow unit, and then use an external regulator. Massapi makes an external regulator that uses manifold pressure to control it under vacuum and boost. I would run a vacuum hose to the regulator, and mount it next to the stock fuel filter location. I'll replace the filter with one that doesn't use a return hose. Then I'll use the old return hose that was on the stock filter, and connect that to the regulator.

The stock fuel filter has 3 hoses. One in, one out to engine, and one return to the fuel tank. When the engine isn't using much fuel, then the excess fuel needs to go somewhere, and the filter's built in return line lets it go right back to the tank. In my scenario, I'll let the regulator decide when and how much gets returned to the fuel tank.

As for mounting it under the truck, I'd much rather run a vacuum/boost sense hose from the engine to the rear mounted regulator than to run another fuel hose all the way to the front of the truck. It's easier and safer to have less fuel lines than necessary.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
You will need 97 5.4 F150 fuel rails to be able to bolt on an adjustable regulator. I believe the stock ones are 1 to 1 ratio with boost though. Check the lightnings fuel rail part number vs stock expy 5.4 because they are 1 to 1......just not adjustable. If identical your good to go.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just read your last edit. I forgot the 2003 is a returnless fuel system so the lightning and earlier expys are completely different. Please disregard my previous post.... :)

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking some more about this and have another idea. I can replace the pump with the high flow unit (no matter what I have to do that). Then I'll modify the built in (in tank) fuel regulator so its not regulating, just full output. I'll leave the factory stock fuel filter with return line intact so it returns excess unused fuel just like Ford designed it. Then however, I'll get a standard inline fuel pressure regulator that can be mounted anywhere, and make sure it's boost referenced. I'll set it for 45 psi or whatever is best, and the filter already has the return line sending excess fuel back to the tank. If I mount it by the engine, it's much easier to plug in a fuel psi gauge as well.

OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's mechanical, the pump should have a full 12 volts, there's not a fuel pressure sensor on the rail. All I have is the dampener that looks like a regulator.

I was thinking a little more about my idea, and it won't work unless I regulate it before the filter. If I install the regulator after the filter, I don't think I'll be able to supply as much fuel as the regulator is demanding, because the source of the fuel from the tank is constantly returning before it even makes it to the regulator. The pump will be flowing wide open and maybe or maybe not enough fuel will make it to the regulator to maintain whatever pressure I set it to.

So basically what I'll probably do is replace the pump with a high flow- modify the internal regulator to max psi, and then install an external regulator right outside of the tank. Everything else will be stock from there forward. I'll run my vacuum reference hose from the manifold to the regulator, no problem. I can install a gauge like normal using either the shrader or one of the aftermarket kits that mounts under the dampener.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man, and I thought the returnless system in my Cobra was a PITA. This was covered in an episode of Trucks! where they were upgrading the fuel system in the Ranger to handle the blown motor they were installing. I remember it was also a mechanical return system. I don't remember them having to install an external regulator. Might be worth looking up.

Edit: Nevermind. I found what I was looking for. They ended up installed a custom fuel cell with twin pumps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joezek

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's where I got my idea from to modify the returnless system... an article I found online. I think its an Australian magazine but same theory.

Returnless fuel system mod

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69