Fuel pump issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just sorted it out. Dropped the tank, pulled the pump back out. The connector with the yellow/ brown wire and black wire that supplies power to the fuel pump is bad. Old pump even works, lmao. We ran power to it. I should have checked it when I had the tank off the first time. Thanks fellas. It was a learning experience.

good to know

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Practice makes perfect Just think one more time and you will be able to do it with your eyes closed or in your sleep

wpatters1229

Reaction score
I have the same issue and am going to probable have to replace pump. I wanted to try the banging on the tank to see if the pump was stuck but they have a heavy metal skid plate under the tank. I checked those fuses and then saw that another relay was just like the one for the fuel pump and swapped them...stil nothing. It does start with starter fluid sprayed into the air intake. I also jumpered the relay contacts so 12v was constant to the pump...still nothing. Should the relay click each time you turn the iginition key on? If not then is it the computer or something else? I was hoping to not have to drop the tank. I also checked the inerite switch. Do they just go bad?

wpatters1229

Reaction score
I have the same issue and am going to probable have to replace pump. I wanted to try the banging on the tank to see if the pump was stuck but they have a heavy metal skid plate under the tank. I checked those fuses and then saw that another relay was just like the one for the fuel pump and swapped them...stil nothing. It does start with starter fluid sprayed into the air intake. I also jumpered the relay contacts so 12v was constant to the pump...still nothing. Should the relay click each time you turn the iginition key on? If not then is it the computer or something else? I was hoping to not have to drop the tank. I also checked the inerite switch. Do they just go bad?

Was able to feel the relay move and all the fuses are good. Back probed the inertia switch and got voltage on both wires each time I turned the key. Guess the only thing left is to drop the tank and replace the pump...or at lease make sure there is voltage to the connector.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just because you feel the relay "move", doesn't mean it's good. Swap one from the heater, or whatever that has same pin configuration. I also have a 2000, as most here know. My relay went south about 8 months back. I was stuck at my Lake Merced with a no start condition. I had no diagnostic tools with me, nor did I want to wrench on it there. Just out of a gut feeling, I swapped the one next to #301 fuel pump relay. Started right up. Might want to try a different relay just for giggles. Your problem probably is the pump, but try easy first.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk