Fuel tank spits gas back!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Menn

Reaction score
Anybody else have problems with fuel tank bubbling out while filling. Mine almost always spews back while filling. And it’s only reading 3/4 full. I can trickle fill it to where the tank is actually overflowing, but it still won’t register full. I’ve replaced the canister, and the vent valve.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
That would be the backflow valve on the actual gas pump.. defective or worn out nothing wrong with your car

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue recently. It only registered 3/4 full and was to the top and spitting out gas when I thought it needed more. It was the sending unit. It all of a sudden went from being correct to reading about 1/4 tank low. I let it stay like that for a month to see if it would somehow 'heal' itself. Had to put in new fuel pump with sending unit...

OP
OP
Craig Menn

Craig Menn

Reaction score
No, it happens at all gas stations. So that’s not the problem, thanks for the input though.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Try parking at gas pump, with the nose on a downhill. Pump gas a slower rate. Ford sending units do not or are slow to register less than 4 gallons. Run tank down to half before refilling.