Fuse question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikew66

Reaction score
I just finished installing an LED aux. backup light on the expy. I used an "add a circuit" and tapped into the horn fuse. That is a 20 amp fuse. The add a circuit has a place for an additional fuse. What size fuse should I use in addition to the 20 amp fuse that was already there?

Also, what size fuse should use from the relay to the battery?

The light is a 27w LED light. The switch I am using is a 20 amp switch.

Thanks!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on what voltage you use to calculate the amp draw, 12 or 14, that will use 1.9 - 2.25 amps. Use a 3 amp max.

OP
OP
mikew66

mikew66

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. What about the inline fuse that goes from the relay to the battery? What size should I use on that one?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the fuse will be 3 amp and the switch is rated for 20 amp. what is the purpose of the relay? Your not needing to control a heavy draw.

If you can, post a schematic of how this is wired, make and model of the add a circuit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikew66

mikew66

Reaction score
Yeah that's true. Just after doing a lot of googling, most people said to use a relay "just to be safe." In my very limited knowledge of the 12v system, I just went ahead and used a relay.

OP
OP
mikew66

mikew66

Reaction score
What is the rating on the relay and what gauge wire did you use on the load side?

I'll have to check. I'm pretty sure it's 25 or 30 amps and the wire is 12, I think. Either 10 or 12.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If that is correct & depending on the length of wire you should be safe with 15-20 amps. If and when you add to the circuit the hand test never fails. Hold one of the load wires a d see how warm it gets with the load on. If you get need the point of "damn this is getting pretty warm" the load is too high. Redneck circuit testing at it finest....

OP
OP
mikew66

mikew66

Reaction score
If that is correct & depending on the length of wire you should be safe with 15-20 amps. If and when you add to the circuit the hand test never fails. Hold one of the load wires a d see how warm it gets with the load on. If you get need the point of "damn this is getting pretty warm" the load is too high. Redneck circuit testing at it finest....

Great. Thanks for the help!