FX4 vs Max tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minichunks

Reaction score
This was brought up on here a few years ago, and it doesn't seem like there was a general consensus. I'm looking at 2 used 2019's, 1 is a Limited and 1 is and XLT FX4. I'm intrigued by the FX4 for a couple reasons, but mainly that it seems that it would have the same tow capacity as the max tow package. Beefed up radiator, 3.73 gears. Only thing it doesn't have is the brake controller and backup assist(definitely don't need that). Any thoughts?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree if you can't back the trailer up without a computers aid, then you don't belong towing.....
Mines got that stupid knob and I've never used it and I never will.

OP
OP
M

minichunks

Reaction score
You would have to add the trailer brake controller...

I have a boat that is about 6800lbs with trailer, water and fuel, and also has surge brakes, so the trailer brake controller really does nothing for my situation. I know the TBC can be added afterward if I ever change my setup. Sounds like you'd agree that it has the same capacity as the Max tow at that point then?

I agree if you can't back the trailer up without a computers aid, then you don't belong towing.....
Mines got that stupid knob and I've never used it and I never will.

I've never bothered to set the thing up. I'm actually curious to see how it functions, but i have no use for it. I've been backing trailers up all my life.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the super duties the FX4 has different (licensed / logo) shocks and some skid plates.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expedition FX4 also gets different shocks from the non-FX4 HD tow. But the tow rating is the same with either set of shocks.

Steve Z

Reaction score
Agree with everyone else FX4 will give you skid plates, and a slightly stiffer ride due to the shocks.

Limited gives you more interior options smoother ride and maybe better resale.

Is there a big price difference?
I have not been able to find an FX4 for sale.

Just picked up a 2018 Limited with Max Trailer Tow. Bought for the capacity not the goofy knob, lol.

Mike Farr

Reaction score
There is overlap in the options with FX-4 and HD Tow, but IMO both are worth having. HD tow pushes max towing to 9k vs the 6k, and the FX-4 provides the skid plates and a couple other things. I think the overlap is in the 2-speed transfer case, providing true 4x4 with High and Low range plus rear electronic locking differential. Not sure if the rear-end gear ratio changes with one or the other, or both, but that may be another overlap. The FX-4 has a lower ratio than standard XLT, Limited, or Platinum, but that might also come with HD tow, I don't recall. I think the bigger radiator and tranny cooler come with both, but again I haven't looked at the spec sheets in a while now.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is overlap in the options with FX-4 and HD Tow, but IMO both are worth having. HD tow pushes max towing to 9k vs the 6k, and the FX-4 provides the skid plates and a couple other things. I think the overlap is in the 2-speed transfer case, providing true 4x4 with High and Low range plus rear electronic locking differential. Not sure if the rear-end gear ratio changes with one or the other, or both, but that may be another overlap. The FX-4 has a lower ratio than standard XLT, Limited, or Platinum, but that might also come with HD tow, I don't recall. I think the bigger radiator and tranny cooler come with both, but again I haven't looked at the spec sheets in a while now.
The only differences between the FX4 and the FX4 with HD towing package is the trailer brake controller and the backup assist dial/software. And the trailer brake controller can be added as a dealer installed option. And the backup assist software is a waste of money until you have to back a few miles down a forest service road.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only differences between the FX4 and the FX4 with HD towing package is the trailer brake controller and the backup assist dial/software. And the trailer brake controller can be added as a dealer installed option. And the backup assist software is a waste of money until you have to back a few miles down a forest service road.

According to the parts pages it also adds different rear springs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zanwahwarden