Gas cap won’t click

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ambermac39

Reaction score
Hey all,

quick question. I have a 2003 Ford Expedition. The lady I bought the truck from says the old gas cap clicked but when she replaced it the new one never did. We’ve been having issues with rough idling and a code that said lean bank 1. First thing I was told was to change gas cap. So we replaced it today and the new one still doesn’t click. Checked owners manual and it says 1/8 turn, nothing about clicking. So any ideas?
Thanks for any and all input.

Plati

Reaction score
Can you drive it around for a while with no gas cap and see if that changes anything? I don't know if the clicked closed gas cap firms some kind of required seal or not.

What was code? I had a code for that on my 2003 5.4 and it was the elbow from PCV valve rotted affecting vacuuum

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ambermac39

Reaction score
It was code P0171
My gas cap looks pretty much the same as the one in pic.
Thank you for the vid I’ll check it out :)

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all,

quick question. I have a 2003 Ford Expedition. The lady I bought the truck from says the old gas cap clicked but when she replaced it the new one never did. We’ve been having issues with rough idling and a code that said lean bank 1. First thing I was told was to change gas cap. So we replaced it today and the new one still doesn’t click. Checked owners manual and it says 1/8 turn, nothing about clicking. So any ideas?
Thanks for any and all input.

Did you buy a Motorcraft / Ford cap, or an aftermarket one?

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 turns about an 1/8 turn to lock in, but doesn't click either. That's how they are suppose to be on this model. I don't know about an 04 or newer.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 eb 5.4 does not click either. It threads on, gets snug and turns just slightly more. No issues. Just filled up tonight and same as always.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani