GAS MILEAGE... is there any hope??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'98, 2 WD, 5.4 engine... 9-11 mpg!
is there any hope of getting better gas mileage out of this thing?
150K + miles on the clock...
any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,Mark

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A bad thermostat or one that is too cold will prevent the engine from warming up properly.

Do you drive it like it's stolen?

Tires inflated properly?

Brakes dragging?

Excessive idling time?

What type of fuel do you use?

But assuming mine is in tip-top shape, I only get 12-14.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is low for a two wheel drive. My 2000 4x4 only gets 10 mpg in town, and no more than 12-13 highway. I believe my problem is a partially clogged catalytic convertor. I also have 20 inch wheels that don't help. But it runs smooth, starts every time, so I don't mess with it. I'm assuming you've done all the tune up junk, you might want to check fuel readings on a quality scanner, make sure 02 sensors are operating right. Also check out Egr system, make sure all is right with egr valve, vacuum going to valve, passage is clear. Any of those items will make your mileage drop. A proper running 97 two wheel drive should get at least 12mpg if all is right. One last thing keep tire pressure up, and check ebrakes in rear. Better to leave rear shoe adjustment on loose side, check cables, they have a tendency to dry up and stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mark Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks; I've done all the usual stuff... guess it's kinda of like a 390... "why does a 390 get bad mileage? it's a 390!"

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But back in the 60's, the only way to get horsepower out of a 350 horsepower engine, was to make the fuel mixture rich. Nowadays with fuel injection, variable timing and such, we have the technology to get over 20 mpg, but the manufactures don't. Who knows, maybe the big 3, own big stock shares in shell, chevron, Bp.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lighten the load on your truck. Take out all unnecessary things. And buy gas during the cooler parts of the day because gasoline is sold by density not by volume.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got rid of my tow hitch, and my front hooks, 75 pounds in weight, didn't increase mileage a bit. Looks cleaner though.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's about average gas mileage for these pigs the third row seat weight about 70 lbs just a guess hehe i took mine out and iv heard a cold air intake/high flow saves some on gas, that is if your not on the gas pedal all the time just because it sound cool lol

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks; I've done all the usual stuff... guess it's kinda of like a 390... "why does a 390 get bad mileage? it's a 390!"

I beg to differ!
I have a 390 in my '79 F-250 and I consistently get low teens. Loaded, empty doesn't matter.

As far as the OP, 9-10 is quite low... When I had to slush box in my 4x4 Expy, I got 11-13 around town and 16-17 on the highway. After I upgraded my tranny, I picked up 2-3 MPG across the board! I love seeing my mileage ticker giving me 20mpg while running 70 down the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1