Going to mock up a dashpod for an Android head unit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One way to cut the glare is to change the angle of the screen so it leans toward you instead of towards the windshield. Doesn't have to be much of an angle, just enough.

True but tilted forward the unit looks very out of place.
Keeping to the same angle as the rest of the dash underneath it sort of looks like it is supposed to be there.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well would you look at that. Looks like someone has figured out the rear HVAC controls.
I just picked up a new dash tray this week to try to complete the Pod.
I just got zero percent CC I may just have to give this a try.
Guess the unit I bought can go in the Mustang.

Sure wish it had more cores and memory. Would be great if that was upgradable for future tech.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, my head unit is an Octa core with 8/64 runs so much faster than my first quad with 2/8.
There were a bunch on the site, i just linked to one, someone else may have a higher spec unit. They all had "tesla style" in the title.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but the chinese knock of people have upped their game recently and now you can replace the entire center stack with a huge touch screen.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_53

Appears to actually only be for a specific equipment level for 15-17, which they themselves seem unaware of (encouraging, innit?)

Screenshot_2019-08-11-20-08-26.png

Or wait.... that might be a competing product?

So damn hard to tell with creative chinese badging

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, my head unit is an Octa core with 8/64 runs so much faster than my first quad with 2/8.
There were a bunch on the site, i just linked to one, someone else may have a higher spec unit. They all had "tesla style" in the title.

The universal unit I have is a quad core with 4/16.
I have only played with it on my workbench and seems to do what I want just fine.
I almost pulled the trigger but am going to hold off. I would rather put the money towards UCAs.
I’ll have the extra cash for one of these in February so I’ll wait.
Maybe they’ll have an upgraded unit and or someone with US tech support will have one out.
Appears to actually only be for a specific equipment level for 15-17, which they themselves seem unaware of (encouraging, innit?)

View attachment 31551

Or wait.... that might be a competing product?

So damn hard to tell with creative chinese badging

Did you get that graphic from the link he supplied?
The link I get from him shows nothing like that graphic.
Granted it shows a different one saying it will only work with the small screen sync.
I get this graphic
C6D54080-0D2A-4D58-BD74-68120ADD85A4.png

Maybe you link is a competitor or a model with more power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to try to get back on building my pod for the time being.
I am not ready to drop $700 on this with the specs it has. The unit I have has better specs.
I am not much for woodworking which has been slowing my progress.
I bought a Tacoma bezel and am going to trim it a bit and try to make the tops and sides of some 1/8” or 1/4” plastic.
SCOSCHE TA2053S9B in-Dash Car Stereo Double DIN Installation Kit Compatible with 2005-Up Toyota Tacoma Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GOFYLS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ma0uDb6H5AE33
Amazon had a warehouse deal for like $15.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tacoma bezel trimmed.
Jury is still out on whether it takes up too much real estate on the dash.
I need to make the sides and top then attach it to the tray. This will likely be temporary since We have one Tesla style unit. Hopefully someone will be along in short order with a better spec’d unit.
Octa-Core, 4gb ram, 64gb memory and I am in.
This will do for now though I may trim a bunch off the top above the screen.
ABCB34C8-E313-4548-8B82-6350067C2DD0.jpeg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tacoma bezel trimmed.
Jury is still out on whether it takes up too much real estate on the dash.
I need to make the sides and top then attach it to the tray. This will likely be temporary since We have one Tesla style unit. Hopefully someone will be along in short order with a better spec’d unit.
Octa-Core, 4gb ram, 64gb memory and I am in.
This will do for now though I may trim a bunch off the top above the screen.
View attachment 31624

What's the point of that monstrosity?

If you're not replacing the low spec factory unit, why not just mount a cheapie tablet and call it done?

And why'd you keep the factory unit anyway, does it integrate some critical component the truck won't work without?