Going to mock up a dashpod for an Android head unit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the lowly sync system which is really fine for my needs in comparison to what the big sync screen does.
I would like an actual GPS app (Gaia) option and an ODB2 scan tool display. Neither of which are available to use with the sync system.
Was looking to just mount a tablet somewhere and still might depending upon of this mock-up looks.
I came across a full featured slim Android head unit that sparked my interest.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232935740710

For the time being I would just use a line converter and plug that into the line in aux jack in the center console for sound.

Eventually I would run it to a 6 channel amp, upgrade the door speakers, add speakers to the rear pillars behind the 3rd row and add a powered sub. Would also add extra monitors in the rear and a front camera.

Rear camera would still show on the factory screen. Only issue I see is once I setup the amp I will loose the parking assist beeps.

In my head and putting my iPad mini up in the dash it does not seem too large but that is not with a pod housing.
So I am going to mock up a pod with craft foam and see if the pod would be too large and obtrusive.

Anyone know the part number for the removable tray there in the center of the dash?
Figure running wires down thru that and I’ll likely bugger it up a bit.

If I was crafty I’d figure out a way to have it fold flat into the tray area.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the lowly sync system which is really fine for my needs in comparison to what the big sync screen does.
I would like an actual GPS app (Gaia) option and an ODB2 scan tool display. Neither of which are available to use with the sync system.
Was looking to just mount a tablet somewhere and still might depending upon of this mock-up looks.
I came across a full featured slim Android head unit that sparked my interest.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/232935740710

For the time being I would just use a line converter and plug that into the line in aux jack in the center console for sound.

Eventually I would run it to a 6 channel amp, upgrade the door speakers, add speakers to the rear pillars behind the 3rd row and add a powered sub. Would also add extra monitors in the rear and a front camera.

Rear camera would still show on the factory screen. Only issue I see is once I setup the amp I will loose the parking assist beeps.

In my head and putting my iPad mini up in the dash it does not seem too large but that is not with a pod housing.
So I am going to mock up a pod with craft foam and see if the pod would be too large and obtrusive.

Anyone know the part number for the removable tray there in the center of the dash?
Figure running wires down thru that and I’ll likely bugger it up a bit.

If I was crafty I’d figure out a way to have it fold flat into the tray area.

Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been going over the plans in my head and think I may be able to keep the parking alert beeps.

It sounds as if the beeps come out of the rear speakers.
Once I swap to an amp with new speakers in the door. I can likely keep a single speaker wired to the sync system and leave the sync system set to line in with no source connected.

Ready for life to slow down a bit to start mocking up this dashpod.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been poking at this a bit more and determined that the backup sensor beeps do not come from the rear door speaker. The sound is actually coming from the driver’s side C-pillar.
So loosing the beeps when swapping to an amp hopefully will not be an issue. It is integrated to the sync system somehow as it lowers the volume of the other speakers.
But once I run an amp sync won’t know the difference it just won’t have speakers connected to it anymore. The only issue is if the source of the speaker in the C pillar is somehow pigtailed off the other speakers but I doubt that is the case as nothing but the beeps come from that area.

I have also been looking at hinges and mini struts to see about being able to fold the screen flat when not in use. Only issue with that is due to wiring the screen would be face up when stored.
I have not seen how much room is in the dash under the tray to see if it would have enough room to push the unit down vertically when not in use.

Hopefully in a week or so I will pick up a sub $100 headunit to start messing with.
If this works as planned That will be swapped to the Mustang as I just need music playback from USB.
A fancy home screen will be nice but NAV and all the other stuff is not needed.
Then I’ll buy a nicer unit with the newest android OS and maxed out RAM.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ordered the cheap unit tonight to start fooling with.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183603298753

There will be a lot of testing and tweaking so I’ll do most of that in the house before actually installing it. Been pretty busy so have not popped the dash tray out but I am pretty sure there may be enough room in there for me to get this thing to recess in there.
If not I went with the smaller 7.1” screen to not need too big of a dash pod.
It says steering wheel control compatible but I have yet to see how that will work.
I found one video of a fella programming the unit to the controls but no mention of how to actually link the wheel to the unit.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ordered the cheap unit tonight to start fooling with.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183603298753

There will be a lot of testing and tweaking so I’ll do most of that in the house before actually installing it. Been pretty busy so have not popped the dash tray out but I am pretty sure there may be enough room in there for me to get this thing to recess in there.
If not I went with the smaller 7.1” screen to not need too big of a dash pod.
It says steering wheel control compatible but I have yet to see how that will work.
I found one video of a fella programming the unit to the controls but no mention of how to actually link the wheel to the unit.

Adapter like the Maestro?

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Adapter like the Maestro?

I have to look when the unit gets here as I am not sure what the connections look like.
None of the eBay adds show anything other than compatible in the descriptions.

I saw a video where a fella was using a PAC box but man did he hack up his factory harness to do it.
I am not too worried about steering wheel controls if I have to do that. They hardly work currently controlling my phone with Sync so I am not out much if I can figure it out.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like I will not be recessing it completely into the dash as the HVAC control module is mounted directly under the tray.
A static Dashpod will likely be my answer.
I will likely be able to fold it flat with some hinges or struts but I don’t like the idea of the screen being face up.
Maybe able to fold it face down but that would put a lot more movement and stress on the wiring and like that idea even less.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tracking says the 25th. Yikes. I made sure to order from a US shipper hoping it would not be too long guess that backfired. Wonder if the get from China then ship out.
I am not an Android user or really all that computer savvy so it will likely be a pretty steep learning curve.
I plan to do my initial setup at the workbench in my shop. No real desire to lean over the console up to the dash for an extended period of time.
Dashpod I guess I’ll do out of wood and coat it with VHT Wrinkle black in an attempt to match the dash texture as best as possible.
Wiring for initial setup won’t be much run power from the fuse box and use the RCAs preout to the LineIn port in the console.
Going to reread that fellas heated steering wheel controls thread to see if it gives any insight which wires to tap and connect to the PAC steering wheel control adapter.