Grinding metal sound after start up 2005 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lindaloo

Reaction score
I just bought a new 2005 XLT, after I start the engine usually upon the first start up of the day, I hear a loud grinding metal sound appears to come from the front of the vehicle and seems related to the ac compressor (I am just guessing on that) the reason for that guess is if I turn of the ac it seems as if it resolves itself faster than if I don't turn it off.
I called the dealer, the service advisor told me, that some sounds are normal for break in, LOL! I have broken out the recorder to record the event.
My rear AC/Heat does not work either, not sure if that is related or not but thought I would mention it in case the grinding metal sound is related to my ac compressor)
Thanks for your time, Linda

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 seconds after I start I get a sharp click, click, click, gone. It's been doing that since I got the car and all seems to be well. The rear AC is a mystery, take it back to the dealer and keep all your paperwork. Colorado is very consumer protectant and I believe does have a lemon law.

CMINEER

Reaction score
I just noticed mine did that for the first time the other day. I had started it with the a/c already on. I'm going to start turning my ac off and wait to turn it on after I start it.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is the compressor clutch engaging. They are metal to metal clutch and work by magnetism when you click the system on. I had the same thing happen on my 2003. It was still doing it at 55K miles before I traded it in for an 05. The only way i found around it was to ensure the AC was off before you start it. Once you got it running, put it in gear and only when you are driving do you engage it on.

OP
OP
L

Lindaloo

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, they pulled an OASIS in my vin and found that tis is a problem as the compressor is mounted below the lines.....factory advises the AC to stay off until after start up!