Grinding noise during startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martin2018

Reaction score
See my posts .. if you dare :)

As others have stated, cam phasers. Mine is exactly the same and in the shop right now being fixed. If you drive it you might find that it won't start and flash a engine malfunction message. That is a related symptom.

bummer I had mine 10 days and had to get a transmission overhaul. Bought it with 30k on it.

Thats how things go sometimes :)

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeebus, how widespread is this issue? The more I'm reading on this forum, the more I'm wondering about my recent purchase. I love the looks, the ride, and gizmos... but if Ford cannot make a solid power plant and transmission, the rest isn't worth a shit. This issue sound like it dates back to the 5.4 Triton... what's up with Ford's Engineering group? If it is largely due to timing chain stretch, re-design the chain and material properties to resolve it. With these type basic engineering issues plaguing the fleet, I'm actually amazed they are selling so well. Really disheartening. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeebus, how widespread is this issue? The more I'm reading on this forum, the more I'm wondering about my recent purchase. I love the looks, the ride, and gizmos... but if Ford cannot make a solid power plant and transmission, the rest isn't worth a shit. This issue sound like it dates back to the 5.4 Triton... what's up with Ford's Engineering group? If it is largely due to timing chain stretch, re-design the chain and material properties to resolve it. With these type basic engineering issues plaguing the fleet, I'm actually amazed they are selling so well. Really disheartening. :rolleyes:
It’s relatively widespread. more-so with the new f150s. But y’all share the same gen2 motor so it’s bound to be an issue for both sides

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of gen 1 EcoBoosts have had timing set woes too, they are notorious for losing the timing chain and clacking away. I own a 5.4 3V, another engine notorious for clacking away. Keep them maintained and you are usually ok.

martin2018

Reaction score

I've had the same thoughts - these issues were known and should have been addressed. It seems chronic. What the vehicle offers as a total package is great but the amount off issues surpasses any previous vehicles I have owned and the list contains some serious crappy ones. I am probably an outlier but still.

I won't talk anyone out of buying an Expi. but you have to get an extended warranty bumper to bumper (Premium) or this vehicle is going to drain your bank account. Silver lining for me is that my ext warranty has covered everything after 36K miles.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah and the only issue now is that they don’t have an “upgraded” fix, they just put on a factory new set and it sorta just prolongs the issue

OP
OP
Julio Walker

Julio Walker

Reaction score
Well...Hahaha...first thing I’m told it is the A/C and I need to turn it off every time I turn the car off. Took everything in me not to drop to the ground laughing. I requested to speak to manager and he listen to my daily videos of my startup and agreed there’s an issue and will talk to the techs to double check what it thinks it is...anyways, mine is a 4WD and the other ones in lot are not or they are the one color we aren’t willing to accept. Really like it, so I told them to give 24 hrs and will give them a final answer about returning it.

martin2018

Reaction score
If you keep it I assure you that at some point you will have to the cam phasers fixed.

Did you get the extended warranty ?

what dealer btw ?

OP
OP
Julio Walker

Julio Walker

Reaction score
If you keep it I assure you that at some point you will have to the cam phasers fixed.

Did you get the extended warranty ?

what dealer btw ?
it's certified pre-owned, so I'm only going with that as the warranty. I bought it in a small town outside of San Antonio, call Devine.

OP
OP
Julio Walker

Julio Walker

Reaction score
See my posts .. if you dare :)

As others have stated, cam phasers. Mine is exactly the same and in the shop right now being fixed. If you drive it you might find that it won't start and flash a engine malfunction message. That is a related symptom.

bummer I had mine 10 days and had to get a transmission overhaul. Bought it with 30k on it.

Thats how things go sometimes :)
I hope I didn't buy a lemon!!!