Groaning noise coming from the front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone.

I was greeted on my New Year with a groaning sound coming from the front on my Expy. Driver side, I think although it’s hard to tell. It seems to occur during a slow speed deceleration, like coasting to a stop but not yet applying the brakes. However I think it occurs after I have already applied the brakes and let off pressure. Like slowing to a yield then turning without stopping. Then slowing again. I just had my brakes inspected by my normal mechanic but I also realize something could have happened.

Any ideas??

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’re losing a hub bearing most likely. Same exact thing my 16 did.

Well maybe “most likely” is a bit strong, but this sounds familiar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be anything unless you can trigger it or alter its groan effect with brake pressure which case even a rock caught in a brake shield could be the cause. As mentioned wheel bearings will give a groaning effect but usually people notice loud tire noise at speed first then discover its not a tire but a bearing failing.

could one of the sound carpets in the wheel well be loose and catching or dragging on something?

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a very light groaning noise coming from my left front. Sure its just coincidence its the same side but something is going on up there. Braking has no effect. Very subtle. Jacked the wheel up. Spins perfect. Nothing rubbing nothing loose. Going to have to wait until it gets more noticeable before I take it in.

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fishrising - no. Not yet.

Sorry about posting my first question in the wrong section. This is the only forum I use and still learning.

Dakota4ce. I thought that as well. My mechanic recently told me it was the front differential

rlgosnell

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone.

I was greeted on my New Year with a groaning sound coming from the front on my Expy. Driver side, I think although it’s hard to tell. It seems to occur during a slow speed deceleration, like coasting to a stop but not yet applying the brakes. However I think it occurs after I have already applied the brakes and let off pressure. Like slowing to a yield then turning without stopping. Then slowing again. I just had my brakes inspected by my normal mechanic but I also realize something could have happened.

Any ideas??

Did you ever diagnose your issue? I'm having the same problem. Thanks!