Groaning When Turning Right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groover

Reaction score
I hear a groaning sound when turning sharply right and traveling forwards more than two or three MPH at the same time.

Sharply means turning the wheel about one and a quarter turns to full lock.

It doesn’t happen when stationary or reversing. It doesn’t happen when turning left.

It does it in 2H and 4A. I haven’t tried the other modes.

I don’t have an LSD.

Any ideas what could be the issue here? 2016 model.

Thanks!

Great BBQ

Reaction score
HI, Mine is doing the same, I just posted yesterday and I'm trying to figure it out, it might have something to do with vacuum and the IWE, look up IWE with year , make and model on YOUTUBE, let me know if you fix this or what you think, Thanks.

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
So that is why I tried putting it back into 4A to see if the noise would go away - it didn't. Is that not a good enough test?

Great BBQ

Reaction score
sorry I'm not sure if that's even the problem, I'm going to talk to my local mechanic over the next few days

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the same thing happening in my 07 expedition, was a tiny power steering leak in the hose that runs through my ac condenser. Had to have the whole thing replaced.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
@Logan97 @Great BBQ

IWEs failing. Had it happen twice on my last 16 platinum EL. You can try a couple quick it ok cheap fixes. There’s a solenoid and T shaped check valve that fail often. Replace those, if it still does it you likely have a leak somewhere in the vacuum lines which Ford can test. A good test would be to drive around in 2H and then switch to 4H, not 4 A. If the sound Doesn’t go away when you go into 4H then your IWE is probably locked up from a bad solenoid or check valve not releasing vacuum. If it goes away in 4H then you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere else. The IWEs engage 4WD when there is no vacuum and disengage when there is vacuum. Read this page, SPECIFICALLY POST NUMBER 1. That gives you exactly what you need to do to diagnose and repair

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearman