Half a second chatter at startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like low oil pressure at start up .. motorcraft filter and some high quality oil. Cheap stuff first.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my '05 3Valve, it is as others mentioned, the tensioners not having enough oil pressure on startup causing the timing chain to rattle. This problem was addressed with tensioner upgrades that had improved O ring sealers. It has been recommended by the U Tube " Makuloco" channel, who I highly respect/recommend, to use 30 weight oil to help with the many problems the first series 3Valve had. But for the chain rattling problem on startup that some of these motors have, I have gone back to the factory recommended 20 weight and this has eliminated that problem, at least on my engine, which was making that noise from 46K miles when I got it. With 110 on it now & the 20 weight, no more noise, ever.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At this point, keep an ear for any changes. I was just spitballing as to a couple of possibilities. Nobody wants to tear into the top end, unless necessary. Darmahsd, the 04, and 05 are different animals. The 04 Expedition doesn't have the phasers or solenoids like your 05, and as such no gaskets to leak, and lose pressure. The 04 F150 is a 3 valve motor, but not the Expedition.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could just be a lash adjuster that has a bit of crud in it and wont hold pressure. Ince the engine starts and sees constant oil pressure, the problem goes away. Then again, it's probably the tensioner. Try to identify which side of the engine the noise is coming from by having someone else start it while you listen. If it's the passenger side, I'd bet big money that it's the tensioner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a lot of talk of 5w-30 instead of the factory recommended 5w-20. I realize the start up weight would be the same, but is there any advantage to using the slightly heavier (especially in warmer weather) oil to keep things lubed at higher operating and ambient temperatures?

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I truly believe it’s just something the 5.4’s Do if it’s a 2004 or older it’s a 2 valve and doesn’t have the cam phaser issues unless it gets a lot worse don’t worry about it and keep on trucking.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see a lot of talk of 5w-30 instead of the factory recommended 5w-20. I realize the start up weight would be the same, but is there any advantage to using the slightly heavier (especially in warmer weather) oil to keep things lubed at higher operating and ambient temperatures?

Its only slightly thicker once up to temp. I run Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W30 and a Fram XG2 filter and have never had one issue. I don't have the common chatter at startup.