Ham radio installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msturtz

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, new to Expeditions. I just got a '16 EL XLT with sync3, I'm looking for an elegant way to install 2-way radios (I'm a ham radio guy). My current thought is the "pen tray" directly in front of the shifter/cup holders, below the climate controls. I'd like to replace that tray with something that has a slant. The radios in question are "remote head", meaning the front panel is actually quite small, the rest of the radio goes under a seat, trunk (haven't figured that one out yet either).

IMG_20171126_152006549.jpg

Any other hams done this? What did you end up with?

-msturtz

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its just that little thing, bolt it on top of the dash imho

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, new to Expeditions. I just got a '16 EL XLT with sync3, I'm looking for an elegant way to install 2-way radios (I'm a ham radio guy). My current thought is the "pen tray" directly in front of the shifter/cup holders, below the climate controls. I'd like to replace that tray with something that has a slant. The radios in question are "remote head", meaning the front panel is actually quite small, the rest of the radio goes under a seat, trunk (haven't figured that one out yet either).

View attachment 22388

Any other hams done this? What did you end up with?

-msturtz
Welcome to the forum. There seems to be a lot of space on the right side near the glove box depending on how big the rest of the radio is and where you plan to mount the antenna. No point in mounting the radio all the way in the back and then having to route wires back to it.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ex f.jpg Ex side.jpg

Motorola APX7500 110w dual band vhf/uhf with the control head center console mounted, just remove and save the plastic cover plate. There is metal to mount to.

All antennas NMO roof mounts plus the modem antenna. A Motorola XPR5550 uhf has a handheld control head, another APX7500 uhf/7/800 also has a handheld control head. The main radio vhf/uhf with a mobile repeater is under the right rear passenger seat. The other APX & XPR stack is under the center rear seat. The cell/wifi modem is under the left rear passenger seat. The Micom HF radio when used just sits in the cargo bay behind the rear passenger seat.

Last edited:

John Stover

Reaction score
I know it's apples and oranges because my truck is an 01. I pulled the double DIN factory radio and put in my single DIN stereo with a Leixen dual band radio right above it. Neat and not terribly bad looking. Turned out the Leixen is a single DIN also.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen the face plate mounted as part of the overhead console, wires run down inside the passenger A pillar trim and the radio mounted in the dash next to the glove box. There is actually a pretty good amount of room back there.

Also seen it mounted where you initially held it with the radio mounted under the rear cup holder in the center console. A pretty good sized hole under those cup holders.

Important thing to me is subtlety. The more factory appearing the less chance of it inviting thieves. I used to always pull the mic out and toss it in the glove box or center console.

N1RIC since 1995.