Hands free lift gate closing by itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No need to disconnect the antenna - you can Enable/Disable the Automatic Tailgate in Advanced Settings. We've never had the problem the OP has but we do disable the tailgate when towing a bike rack in case it open when the rack is hitched.

One of the earlier posters noted that disabling the automatic tailgate in the IP only disables the motors, but not the power latch mechanism. We'll have to experiment and see if it unlatches and stays unlatched if you use the kick sensor with the motors disabled.

ElliottTX

Reaction score
Mine just randomly opens when I'm sitting in it. The first time it happened, I though my husband was playing a joke with me at the gym (scared the s*** out of me). Then I sat there for 10 more minutes and it opened 5 times. Today at the post office it opened about 15 times. I've tried locking the doors, shutting engine down... I have no idea...

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine just randomly opens when I'm sitting in it. The first time it happened, I though my husband was playing a joke with me at the gym (scared the s*** out of me). Then I sat there for 10 more minutes and it opened 5 times. Today at the post office it opened about 15 times. I've tried locking the doors, shutting engine down... I have no idea...

See post #3 on this thread if you want to disconnect the antenna for the kick to open feature so you'll never have to deal with it acting up again.

mhExped

Reaction score
I'm having the same frustrating issues with this "feature." Sounds like the only available option is to disconnect that antenna.

Wondering, has anyone had trouble with the dealer after having done so (i.e., void your warranty) or any other undesired side effects (i.e., is anything else in the electrical chain dependent on that antenna being connected)?

Doug Morgan

Reaction score
I have has zero issues with mine and cannot see a warranty issue either. For the time it takes you could plug it back in before going to a dealer. To keep mine clean I sealed the plug with dielectric grease to keep corrosion out of it.

fishrising

Reaction score
TSB 19-2162 out there for mis-wiring, see bottom half of attached pic, from today.

7e10432c5dd0ceee090186dbffbb5462.jpg