Hands free lift gate closing by itself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 2019 Expedition with the hands free lift gate feature (e.g. "kicking" forward at the spare tire will open/close the lift gate). Anyone had the experience that when you stand behind bumper touching it with your legs (doing stuff like taking out groceries, etc.) that it closes on you by itself? Not sure if mine is too sensitive and needs to be adjusted. Thanks!

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a common issue, and many (myself included) have disconnected the antenna under the rear bumper to avoid inadvertent actuation. I was tired of getting hit in the back of the head while unloading cargo, and also was concerned it may open into my closed garage door and cause damage to the lift gate. See the attached thread about how to disconnect the antenna if you decide to do so.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/rear-hatch-operability.37909/page-2

m3bs

Reaction score
I can’t get it to open with my foot, but it always wants to close on my head while I’m loading stuff!

I figured it was just a learning curve, but if I can’t figure it out, disconnecting it may be an option.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They put the antenna in 2different places I think. If yours comes with a hitch it's in the center but you may not be swinging your foot far enough in. If your car has a hitch the antenna is offset. Try that

Doug Morgan

Reaction score
Mine never opens when I want it to with my foot. I can kick under there 10 times and give up and push the button. But on the other hand you can be sure if I am hooking up my trailer or doing something in the garage the damn thing will attack me. I finally shut off the kick to open feature in the setting menu.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Each time that I've towed, when either removing the ball mount or snapping the cover back on, the lift gate closed on my head...and each time it happened, there was no warning chime. The darn thing won't hardly ever open (or close) with a kick and the dealer service department is content with it opening one time out of one hundred attempts. They can't explain the unintended closing. If it's a sure thing that disconnecting the sensor antenna will stop the unwanted closing, I'll be doing that ASAP. Silly me, I was expecting that my vehicle would work like my sister's six-year old Escape. Her lift gate works flawlessly with one foot swipe and it cost less than half of what the Expedition did. On edit, should have read Doug's post above. Will be changing settings in the menu too.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
Mine never opens either. I've seen reviews on Youtube that had the same problem, one of them that seemed to get it to work consistently said there's two sensors on each side if you have a trailer tow package - otherwise, it's right in the middle.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have great success with mine and it's wildly convenient. I agree it is a little overzealous sometimes and it has tried to kill me more than once both closing and opening. But I would not give it up. Way too useful when loading or unloading a cooler, groceries, a dog, a dead body, ya know, whatever you're hauling around.

I do not have the tow pack, but I do the kick in the same place every time, right in the middle of the left half of the bumper...so right here:
upload_2019-10-8_13-33-24.png

Also, you're not swiping side to side under the bumper, you're kicking in and out...think the crane kick from Karate Kid; pick up your foot, go straight under the bumper about 6 inches and then come straight back out. Not too fast, not too slow.

Both my 5 year old and my 2 year old have figured it out and they fight to see who gets to "kick open dad's car".

jking05

Reaction score
I dont think its even a kick that needs to open it. I just put my knee up to the reverse sensor on the right side of the hitch and back away for it to open. I did have it close on me one time for some reason and maybe getting close to the sensor and backing away did it? Dont know but I can try it again.