Hard Brake Air goes to defrost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
That hose that runs along the back is not in the best shape but with how dramatic the problem is I kind of thought I had put a hose somewhere it shouldn't go instead of it just being an older hose. Either way I'll be changing that one out tomorrow just because I'm out of ideas

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see anything obvious. You may end up having to check the intake and vacuum hoses with a smoke machine to find any leaks. The loss of vacuum only happens when you step on the brake pedal ? You could disconnect the booster's vacuum line and plug the hose, then with the engine running step on the brake pedal and see if the loss of vacuum problem goes away. That would kinda point to the brake booster diaphragm leaking. Do you hear any air noises from the brake booster when you or an assistant steps on the brakes?

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
It's a very loud engine, can't really hear any issues. Running and idling is not noticably worse than it was before. I'm not sure about only loss of vacuum, more those are the symptoms I've noticed. The brake pedal is hard to push down and does not do anything until it's all the way down and the ac comes out of the defrost vents no matter what it's set on; both just started after the coil swap.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
Made a diy smoke test and the billowing smoke from behind the engine was enough to motivate me to get serious about where the back hose goes. Wriggled, twisted, and cussed til I got the hose back on it's little metal offshoot on the back of the engine. Skinny arms can access it from under the driver's side with a great deal of determination and nothing being removed.

OP
OP
U
Reaction score
My issue is definitely fixed and you're right I should repeat the test to get any less troublesome leaks taken care of. Honestly tonight I was just glad to have my ride functional again. I figure I should wait to do anything else til I've made it through the work week.