Hard downshift to 4th gear when slowing down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ours was downshifting hard mainly when warmed up, but it was only from 5-4th gear. It was harsh enough it would shake the whole truck. It did eventually start to get a little better in the month it took for me to get it into the dealer, but was still noticeable. Like I said, I thought it would just be a software update, but here is what they replaced: 7001D14 ATF MAIN CONTROL VALVE/JL1Z*7A100*A and the gaskets and fluid and I "think" they updated the software, but who knows.

And now we're in the shop for the other seal that went out on the tranny that the dealer said they couldn't get until February, but I found after two phone calls to other local dealers. The fun continues!!

Thanks for the j go! Do you still notice any issues with the 5-4 downshift after the repair?

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unbelievable a seal was asking to much for them to track down. Parts guys here even find stuff at other dealers for me and also give me their number! Handy when working in a 97 f350 that shows its age

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the j go! Do you still notice any issues with the 5-4 downshift after the repair?

No, replacing that valve control body fixed the problem. Shifting was a little different for a while because I think it was re-learning after the update. Everything was good until that stupid seal went out.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, replacing that valve control body fixed the problem. Shifting was a little different for a while because I think it was re-learning after the update. Everything was good until that stupid seal went out.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear there was a simple fix for you... and hopefully me! Hah

Bailey

Reaction score
Bringing this topic back. I have a harsh upshift and downshift under light acceleration or deceleration into/out of 4th. Same thing for 8th gear. Anyone else?