Hard downshift to 4th gear when slowing down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious if anyone else has experienced this... out off the blue (actually it was the day I got my car back from the dealer fixing my lane keep camera, washer fluid leak and hands free rear tailgate closing on me) I notice a harsh downshift and it seems to be when slowing down and the car goes from 5 to 4, if will shift pretty hard and you can hear/feel a little thud.

Definitely not normal. I think it might be worse when it’s cold, I’m still diagnosing this myself actually. I was so impressed with the smoothness of the 10 speed prior to this too...

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, had the exact same thing. Kind of came and went but never really went away. Had the valve control body (or something like that) replaced. Fixed the problem.

Fast forward two months and now in the shop indefinitely waiting for some transmission seal that’s on back order that failed and leaked all the fluid all out on a ski trip.

Fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious if anyone else has experienced this... out off the blue (actually it was the day I got my car back from the dealer fixing my lane keep camera, washer fluid leak and hands free rear tailgate closing on me) I notice a harsh downshift and it seems to be when slowing down and the car goes from 5 to 4, if will shift pretty hard and you can hear/feel a little thud.

Definitely not normal. I think it might be worse when it’s cold, I’m still diagnosing this myself actually. I was so impressed with the smoothness of the 10 speed prior to this too...

Is the vehicle still covered under the power train (or extended) warranty?

Why are you diagnosing this yourself? I would return it to the dealer for diagnosis and repair.

It is possible the dealer disconnected the engine battery while completing repairs, which would cause the transmission computer to default to programmed settings - until it learns the shift patterns of the drivers.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the vehicle still covered under the power train (or extended) warranty?

Why are you diagnosing this yourself? I would return it to the dealer for diagnosis and repair.

It is possible the dealer disconnected the engine battery while completing repairs, which would cause the transmission computer to default to programmed settings - until it learns the shift patterns of the drivers.

Yup extended warranty for another 100k then lifetime powertrain. I just got the car back last week so didn’t have time yet to call them to schedule another appt.

My local dealer is pretty terrible at diagnosing and actually making the right repair the first time around so I almost have to diagnose and TELL them what to fix. Example 1, gave my car back after NOT fixing the lane keep but said it was fixed. Fixed it the 2nd time around. Example 2, just got it back last week after claiming to repair the windshield washer fluid leaking all over my front bumper. Nope, not fixed. They replaced the actual housing that holds the fluid claiming it was cracked. No, it’s the valve / line going to the front camera washer, very obvious since it’s all over the bumper.

Tired of these morons not fixing the car the first time. They just go through the motions not testing things.

Valve control body? Quick Google review supports that, saying harsh downshifts result in possible replacement. I love this car but for the life of me why so many little issues! Ford get your sh*t together or you’ll be bankrupted by warranty repairs or class action lawsuits...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup extended warranty for another 100k then lifetime powertrain. I just got the car back last week so didn’t have time yet to call them to schedule another appt.

My local dealer is pretty terrible at diagnosing and actually making the right repair the first time around so I almost have to diagnose and TELL them what to fix. Example 1, gave my car back after NOT fixing the lane keep but said it was fixed. Fixed it the 2nd time around. Example 2, just got it back last week after claiming to repair the windshield washer fluid leaking all over my front bumper. Nope, not fixed. They replaced the actual housing that holds the fluid claiming it was cracked. No, it’s the valve / line going to the front camera washer, very obvious since it’s all over the bumper.

Tired of these morons not fixing the car the first time. They just go through the motions not testing things.

Valve control body? Quick Google review supports that, saying harsh downshifts result in possible replacement. I love this car but for the life of me why so many little issues! Ford get your sh*t together or you’ll be bankrupted by warranty repairs or class action lawsuits...

I received poor service (customer pay and warranty) from the service department of the selling dealer, where I purchased my 2015 Expedition new + a Ford extended warranty.

I switched to a second Ford dealer, who screwed up the oil change + tire rotation the first time I went there.

I switch to a third Ford dealer for service, and so far - it has been okay.

You may live in an area that doesn’t have multiple Ford dealers - but with your service description, I would change Ford dealers for service.

My belief, based upon personal experiences, is that many major car dealers have had a period of high customer business since the recession recovery. Many of their employees don’t care about good service or customer retention, as there are vehicles lined-up at the service door. Even during the pandemic, people need to have their vehicles fixed.

Finding a good dealer service department is difficult, and many dealers have a high turnover of service staff. It is also my belief that the three major components of most dealers (sales, parts and service) do not work together to help and retain customers.

I have been buying cars for 50+ years - and I feel as though the service provided by many dealers has deteriorated. Anyone can buy a new vehicle at a competitive price - it is the service after the sale that keeps the customer coming back, or drives them away.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do have a plethora of dealers here in the Nashville area they’re just all 30 minutes away and my dealer is 10.

I will say my service advisor is very friendly, always makes sure I’m happy/taken care of it’s just their actual mechanics that seem to be sloppy.

like I said, I just think I need to be adamant about what the issue is and really be more involved in the repair process. I don’t like picking up the car to find out they “cleaned the area around the lane keep camera” and claim it’s fixed. I did that, it didn’t work.

Being more involved / maybe even getting the mechanics out to talk with me going forward will be needed.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do have a plethora of dealers here in the Nashville area they’re just all 30 minutes away and my dealer is 10.

I will say my service advisor is very friendly, always makes sure I’m happy/taken care of it’s just their actual mechanics that seem to be sloppy.

like I said, I just think I need to be adamant about what the issue is and really be more involved in the repair process. I don’t like picking up the car to find out they “cleaned the area around the lane keep camera” and claim it’s fixed. I did that, it didn’t work.

Being more involved / maybe even getting the mechanics out to talk with me going forward will be needed.

Good luck.

I have found that service advisors are often very resistive of allowing the customer to speak to the technician.

In 2020, I took my Expedition to the dealer for a problem with the coolant leaking. The first time, the system was pressurized and no leaks found. When I got the vehicle back, it continued to loose coolant over 1-2 weeks. I returned it, and then the technician found a defective coolant reservoir and several hoses that were leaking - all replaced (after I insisted there was a leak and I wanted it found).

Later, the vehicle continued to loose coolant (from the reservoir), and I took it back for a second round of visits. The first time, a pressure check revealed no leaks. When I got the vehicle back, it continued to loose coolant from the reservoir. I returned the vehicle to the dealer, and this time the technician found a leaking water pump when he put the vehicle on a lift. It was replaced, as well as another hose.

Each visit, I asked the service advisor if the technician put the vehicle on a lift, and checked for leaks under the vehicle. I was told that the way leaks are found, is to pressurize the system to see if the pressure drops - indicating a leak. Each time, I told the service advisor that there had to be a leak, and if a pressure test did not find it - the vehicle underside should be examined (as the coolant had to go somewhere and may only leak when the engine is warmed-up). They were resistive of my advice. I have undergone four major surgeries and no longer can do many vehicle maintenance tasks - including getting under my vehicles.

Service advisors are nothing more than salesman, who “write up” the vehicle and turn it over to a technician with very little description of the problem. I wish I had a dime for every service advisor that told me I was due for (fill in the blank for an expensive maintenance item that was not due by mileage or time).

Good luck again.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best bet is if somebody on here got a problem such as yours fixed and has a TSB number. I found Honda was terrible at things unless I had one printed out and spoon fed the dipshits. I had a tech ride along and he couldn’t feel the vibration/shaking in my van. I ended up getting that somewhat resolved before the van went bye bye by finding a tsb in an exhaustive internet search.

I currently have a harsh shift to fourth when cold. Kinda does into 6th. Usually on,y first shift of the day. Never does it warm. Doesn’t always do it cold.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best bet is if somebody on here got a problem such as yours fixed and has a TSB number. I found Honda was terrible at things unless I had one printed out and spoon fed the dipshits. I had a tech ride along and he couldn’t feel the vibration/shaking in my van. I ended up getting that somewhat resolved before the van went bye bye by finding a tsb in an exhaustive internet search.

I currently have a harsh shift to fourth when cold. Kinda does into 6th. Usually on,y first shift of the day. Never does it warm. Doesn’t always do it cold.

Yup, I 100% after going in with a TSB number or letting them know that there is a TSB is key. I told them for my windshield washer leak there was a TSB though and the morons still didn’t do it they just replaced the reservoir and not the line/ valve so I have to baby these people from now on like they’re my kids.

I might also force them in to a ride along when I pickup the car as it would have saved me a few return trips recently.

If anyone knows of a TSB for rough transmission shifts/thuds (especially downshifting to 4th) I’m all ears. I’ve noticed mine is definitely doing it cold and most of the time when warm too.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ours was downshifting hard mainly when warmed up, but it was only from 5-4th gear. It was harsh enough it would shake the whole truck. It did eventually start to get a little better in the month it took for me to get it into the dealer, but was still noticeable. Like I said, I thought it would just be a software update, but here is what they replaced: 7001D14 ATF MAIN CONTROL VALVE/JL1Z*7A100*A and the gaskets and fluid and I "think" they updated the software, but who knows.

And now we're in the shop for the other seal that went out on the tranny that the dealer said they couldn't get until February, but I found after two phone calls to other local dealers. The fun continues!!