He better not have more than two fingers!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got lazy a month ago and had the wife take the CTS to Jiffy Lube. A few days ago the wife called me at work and said the car was acting funny and making a rattling noise when going around corners. Rearend? Maybe. Got around to checking it out today, drove around the block and sure enough I heard what she described. Sounded like a steel rattlesnake. No noise during idle or reving when parked, oil pressure good, no slipping when going through the gears and holding the brake, but as soon as you start from a stop to cruising speed the sound would be there intermittently through each gear change. First thought was SON OF A BISCUIT!!!!....the tranny's about to take a dump. But wait....it's not slipping and it can't be rearend because I hear it coming more from under the car, and sure as hell ain't the engine because I've got no codes, don't hot rod it, change the oil religiously, doesn't burn or leak oil EVER. Well, knowing I was wasting my time, I pulled the dipstick and MOTHER FLUFFER!!!....the oil wasn't even touching the dipstick, and DOUBLE MOTHER FLUFFER!!!...it took 3 and a 1/2 quarts to put it in the hash marks. This is probably the first time I've gone more than a month without checking the oil weekly in this car because my wife only drives it about once a week, and like I stated earlier, it is never low. Lesson learned. Now I just have to go to Jiffy Lube, find the two fingered jiffylubetarted SOB that changed the oil and teach him how to count with his other hand!!

justKen

Reaction score
Jiffy Lube gave me an oil filter that was marked "For Air Filter Use Only". Their corporate headquarters never bothered answering my complaint letter. Imagine that these hacks do brake jobs too.

And folks wonder why I change my own oil.

I agree with you - It would almost lead one to have the thought that the whole operation has to be a tax shelter for someone up the line. No way ANY business can accept the numbers and expense of constant damages that are the result of absolutely nothing more than incompetence/ inattention or combination of these, and then choose to venture into a new area in which such failures will have catastrophic consequences.

To boot, it's an area that is completely foreign to the running business model, meaning garage re-fit, training (ha!, but at least on paper), inventory, etc. Someone is burning money.

/K

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty hard to believe you could screw up an oil change, but there you go. When I bought my 2000 about 4 years back, the drain plug was cross threaded. I was lucky and was able to run a 14 mm tap into the pan to fix. What's so amazing is these days the computer tells them how much oil to put back, on top of that, we've got that funny yellow top 3 foot stick, that's a fail safe. But in spite of all that 3 1/2 quarts low. Un fricking amazing.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

justKen

Reaction score
Welcome to the era of 15.00$ minimum wage employees! Can't count past two without a calculator.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Amen to this.

I remember working in my Great-Uncle's auto shop after school for minimum wage - and I began by sweeping, moving & emptying oil vats, and about any other mundane task that could be passed my way, and minimum wage was $3 and change.

By the time I had made it to $6/hr, I worked my ass off for some $80.00 or so per week, but I was damned proud of that $80.00.

/K

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Welcome to the era of 15.00$ minimum wage employees! Can't count past two without a calculator.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Damn your state is generous, I know jiffy lube in IL starts techs at $9.25 an hour, maximum $12, that right there is solely the reason I dont go to jiffy lube, at $9 an hour you know damn well the person working that job doesnt give two flying birds about his job and the quality of his work.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$3.00 per hour! In 1969 my first real job, besides throwing newspapers was $1.65 per hr at the Arco gas station. I did oil and lube, repaired tires, mounted and balanced new ones. Batteries. Pretty much everything but the skilled stuff like brakes and motor diagnostic work. Even then I knew to put back 4 quarts recheck and add 1-2 more if in doubt. All that without any computer screen to look up specs.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk