Head gasket replacement tips !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
goona be doing a head gasket on the 99 ford expo 5.4 any special tools needed ? what is the hardest part of the job ? i already manged to get the exhaust manifold bolts/studs loose will need to replace them along with left exhaust manifold,already pressure wash and used compressed air to get most of the dirt so all that crap doesn't fall in the engine? Is there any write ups on head about doing the head gaskets ? i may just by a haynes repair manual have used them in the past but any info would help thanks

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Lightning, on my 05 I remember the head bolts in the back of the motor under the cowl area wouldn't come out they were too long, I had to remove the motor mounts and drop the engine down a few inches to get the bolts out,this is something I'm pretty sure you'll experience

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can check out Eric the car guy's vid on head gasket replacement. Just list down every item you removed in order so when its time to reassemble, you just go backwards.

OP
OP
whitelightning99

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks everyone, i need a book cause i am not wanting my 500.00 laptop all greasy and take a chance of it getting damaged out in my garage my laptop doesn't leave my room,haynes repair manual has never let me down before,it would give me enough info i need to get the job done well maybe a few things it wouldn't have but could get info from a different source if need be,and yea i heard about the head bolts i guess they don't have to be pulled all the way out to get head off and need to be put in hole before the head is lay all the way down on block but will be prepared to take em out if i need and yes iv been threw a bunch of vidz on you tube EricTheCarGuy channel is great along with FordTechMakuloco