Head Unit Problem....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a Kenwood excelon KDC-X794 head unit the other day and I really like it but last night I was out riding around with the music up fairly loud and it seemed like all the sudden someone turned the volume down real low and it was muffled. I thought maybe it was the song so I changed it and a few minutes later it did it again. I pulled the cd player out to make sure all the connections for good and they all seem to be. Does anyone have any idea what this might be. I have a 2000 with mach stereo system by the way, and stock speakers. Could that be my problem?

kickapebble

Reaction score
Maybe...

I have no idea if this is the problem but it may lead to a solution... I recall that my old 2000 F-150's music level would always return to a low level when the engine was started again; meaning if I were listening on level 30 when I shut the truck off, it was on 10 when I started it again. Perhaps this is true for your rig, if this is the case, it may be an issue with the "remote" wire not having a good connection. Shot in the dark, but better than no shot at all. Good luck.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2002 with the factory mach system and I am running a Pioneer HU with every thing else stock. I listen to mine really loud and have never had that problem, does your HU have a mute feature or a call mute feature on it? some times these features will not compleatly mute it but will put it at a lower volume for awnsering calls etc. Or it could be that the factory mach amp is giving out or getting hot, not sure but mine has never given me any problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FordRacing1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No not on my radio. I thought maybe it getting hot has something to do with it. How do you bypass it?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two ways you could go, you can either run all new wire from the deck to the doors and bypass the factory wiring for the speakers. Or the best way is to get an after market 4chanel amp and run it off the RCA output on your new HU, then run new speaker wire from where you mount the amp to the door speakers.

Both ways are time consuming and a pain in the A** but I would personally go with the aftermarket amp myself because it gives you more flexability to expand and upgrade in the future without having to rewire everything again :D .

One other option is to find another factory mach amp in a wrecking yard and just replace the one you have. If I remember correctly the amp for all of the door speakers is underneith the center console.