Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
once all this Christmas chaos is all done, i'll be swapping out my head unit. looking for suggestions on which unit to get. preferrably looking to get a double din unit that is detachable. navi is not required, however it be a nice option to have.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
For years I said that I'd never own another Pioneer product, but then in a moment of weakness I bought an AVIC touchscreen nav unit. I ended up LOVING it.

It gives you just about every feature found in new trucks. Bluetooth, Nav, Sirius, Video, backup cam, you name it.

They say a double din won't fit (it will). Any of these will fit

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350...howAll=Y&tp=20222&nvpair=AG_Size|FFDouble@DIN

Last edited:
OP
OP
QbanCgar

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For years I said that I'd never own another Pioneer product, but then in a moment of weakness I bought an AVIC touchscreen nav unit. I ended up LOVING it.

It gives you just about every feature found in new trucks. Bluetooth, Nav, Sirius, Video, backup cam, you name it.

sweet, i'll look into it. what model # is the one that you have?

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
One of the benefits of buying from Crutchfield, is that they supply all of the installation parts needed. But I'm sure that Best Buy and even Walmart have installation kits.

Mine has been discontinued it was an AVIC 710BT

phase888

Reaction score
I had an AVIC-x920bt in my old 97, this time I didn't really feel like putting the investment in for the Navigation unit. I opted for the Pioneer avh-x3500bhs. Has a lot of good features for a reasonable price. I use Navigation through Garmin on my phone (or the maps app) which comes over the bluetooth just fine. If I decided I wanted a full time nav unit I could get the add-on for the radio.

I got my wiring harness adapter by looking at Metra and Scosche's websites then ordered it from Amazon. I found a double din faceplate for the install but I'm not really happy with it so I'm going to switch it out later.

The actual install took me about an hour last night, cut a straight line across the top of the opening to clear some space and removed the guide part usually behind the radio with no issue. Honestly removing the entire piece gave me loads more room for the wiring to fit quite easily. Still need to do some cleanup, but I was not going to drive today without a radio - I'd have gone insane.

OP
OP
QbanCgar

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the benefits of buying from Crutchfield, is that they supply all of the installation parts needed. But I'm sure that Best Buy and even Walmart have installation kits.

Mine has been discontinued it was an AVIC 710BT

cool thanks! well if i happen to get my ol part time job back @ Best Buy, then i will wait so i can get that major discount on parts & install.

phase888

Reaction score
cool thanks! well if i happen to get my ol part time job back @ Best Buy, then i will wait so i can get that major discount on parts & install.

When I got my AVIC I actually had them price match it to a website that was way, way cheaper than they could have done. Since I got it near the end of the life cycle it was about half off. I bet it was far cheaper than the employee discount because the person who did the price match was shocked.

OP
OP
QbanCgar

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I got my AVIC I actually had them price match it to a website that was way, way cheaper than they could have done. Since I got it near the end of the life cycle it was about half off. I bet it was far cheaper than the employee discount because the person who did the price match was shocked.

yeah, i was thinking of buyin' the head unit from ebay or Amazon, however the harness & kit i would buy from BB b/c i could buy both for under $8 & the installation was daym near free.