Headlight bulbs low beams.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death by now but I am looking for opinions from people that have replaced there bulbs. I do a pretty decent amount of night driving and I need to get brighter bulbs. It's for a 2016 Ford expedition xlt I believe stock halogen. I'm looking for preferably white LEDs to match the fogs but I am open to any option. I am just looking for people who gone to less and what the best option would be for the cost/quality.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death by now but I am looking for opinions from people that have replaced there bulbs. I do a pretty decent amount of night driving and I need to get brighter bulbs. It's for a 2016 Ford expedition xlt I believe stock halogen. I'm looking for preferably white LEDs to match the fogs but I am open to any option. I am just looking for people who gone to less and what the best option would be for the cost/quality.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs

Too many ppl have had issues with HIDs burning out. Thts why I chose LED, 100% plug and play and perfect fitment behind dust cap. They were R&D’d using the projector lens and to have same fitment as OEM. I now have both highs and lows and it’s exact match to OEM fogs

Grover6

Reaction score
What 16plati said...I went to an aftermarket HID kit, which was great while it worked. I was getting about a year out of the halogen bulbs, and ended up to be about the same with the HID. The ignitor on one side also burnt out, which adds to the cost. So I have gone back to halogens pending an LED upgrade. LEDs are a big price jump from stock, but should last a long time, and they are cheaper than the HID kit I had.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do any bulb updates really make a difference in the performance of the headlamps, or just a brighter hot spot in front of the truck? It seemed to me like the XLT reflector headlamps are just poorly designed from the standpoint of focusing and delivering the light down the road. I've heard the Limited's projectors aren't much better, but no personal experience with them. Maybe worth fitting the Projector (Edit - not Reflector as originally stated) headlamp housings from a limited to the XLT to better control the light, and have it be effective at illuminating the road further out, with c sharp cuts offs to prevent blinding oncoming traffic (And yourself from reflective street signs)?

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do any bulb updates really make a difference in the performance of the headlamps, or just a brighter hot spot in front of the truck? It seemed to me like the XLT reflector headlamps are just poorly designed from the standpoint of focusing and delivering the light down the road. I've heard the Limited's projectors aren't much better, but no personal experience with them. Maybe worth fitting the reflector headlamp housings from a limited to the XLT to better control the light, and have it be effective at illuminating the road further out, with c sharp cuts offs to prevent blinding oncoming traffic (And yourself from reflective street signs)?
I get better quality and more light out further in front of me with the SL1s

Grover6

Reaction score
If you have the reflector style headlight, a bulb upgrade will help, but not as much as if you have the projector style. From what I have seen, LED bulbs don't work as well in the reflector housing. They look really bright from head on, but the reflector doesn't push the light out as well and so you won't get the reach down the road. Think mildly focused flood light (reflector) vs focused light (projector). Might be worth checking into the projector housing prices, or a wrecker.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run the OEM bulbs in my '16 Expy and they are plenty bright enough. Impressive in fact. Jeez you want to be one of those inconsiderate drivers with blinding low beams? I do a lot of driving and those people are the worst to encounter on the road at night.