Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the LED is not placed exactly where the filament of the Halogen was located, the beam will not be focused properly. Also LED modules require cooling or they will die. Halogens don't care, so the fixture design does not facilitate a lot of ventilation, if any. Halogen bulbs are never the problem with headlights, it is poor design of reflectors.

Last edited:

2022timberlinePNW

Reaction score
Hi - New user here. This is probably in the wrong forum. If so, please excuse me. I want to preface this by saying I'm in my fifties and my eyesight isn't as good as when I was 20 or 30. I have a '22 Ford Explorer Timberline. The headlights are not very bright unless you turn the high beams. I travel in rural areas where there is no external surrounding lighting. It's difficult to see more than 25 feet with the factory headlights. I also drive in a lot of fog and rain. I'd like to know the options to replace with third-party bulbs or do I need a whole new assembly and LEDs? Any help would be appreciated.

20Expy

Reaction score
Hi - New user here. This is probably in the wrong forum. If so, please excuse me. I want to preface this by saying I'm in my fifties and my eyesight isn't as good as when I was 20 or 30. I have a '22 Ford Explorer Timberline. The headlights are not very bright unless you turn the high beams. I travel in rural areas where there is no external surrounding lighting. It's difficult to see more than 25 feet with the factory headlights. I also drive in a lot of fog and rain. I'd like to know the options to replace with third-party bulbs or do I need a whole new assembly and LEDs? Any help would be appreciated.
Hey, I'm also a newbie here. I don't know much about aftermarket headlights, all I know is that it's extremely important to have your headlights properly adjusted to not blind others that also have bad eyesight, especially if the lights are even brighter than stock.

You might want repost this under the 4th gen section, where there is more traffic and people with knowledge. Here is the link to the 4th gen Expedition section: https://www.expeditionforum.com/forums/4th-gen-2018-present.110/

turi

Reaction score
Sorry - my first post, so not sure where to post it, but here's my question:

I have a 2021 Ford Expedition Max Limited, and I want to change the headlights (low and high) to brighter aftermarket LED bulbs instead.

My dealership told me I can't just replace the bulbs in the high and low headlights - that I will need to replace the whole light assembly on both right and left sides even if just one bulb there needed replacing.

That doesn't make sense to me - I asked them if any of the current bulbs installed there burns out - if I can't just replace that one, and they said no - it'll require replacing the whole front light assembly.

Is that true? I can't just access the oem bulbs and replace them individually with any matching bulb instead?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Headlights are a problem in virtually every car brand these past years. Apparently the NHTSA has allowed manufacturers to use whatever design they wish to meet "fuel consumption". As a result we have substandard and often tiny headlights on most cars. They blind on coming drivers and leave little illumination of the road. They are also ridiculously expensive and the lens deteriorates from UV of the sun and the bulb. There was nothing wrong with Halogen sealed beams of the 1990's. This is really a public safety crisis and burden on the consumer. It has also spawned a lot of cheap LED retrofits that are often worse than OEM for safety. Write your congresscritter and complain. In the 1970's I retrofitted Hella H4 Quartz Iodine bulbs to my Karmann Ghia and could see for miles ahead with high beams. Wish that option existed today.