Heads and Cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djljr

Reaction score
The fresh air intake and exhaust mods are good but to get some real perormance out of the 4.6L, I am thinking headwork and cams. Anybody here done that?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Short answer, get a 5.4. Or score yourself a supercharged 4.4 diesel in the near future.

There is a guy around that turbocharged his stock 4.6 expy 2V. Not 100% on the first power numbers but I think they were in the 490rwhp area. Then after 100k miles (of being turboed) he bent rods or something around that line. Now its a cobra 4.6, bored, camed, done up basically. Makes 670 something hp.

I thought that was a real decent number to make stock turbocharged.

Not sure what he had done fuel wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDZKZcbDy1I

OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
Originally posted by AvroAero
Short answer, get a 5.4. Or score yourself a supercharged 4.4 diesel in the near future.

There is a guy around that turbocharged his stock 4.6 expy 2V. Not 100% on the first power numbers but I think they were in the 490rwhp area. Then after 100k miles (of being turboed) he bent rods or something around that line. Now its a cobra 4.6, bored, camed, done up basically. Makes 670 something hp.

AA,
Thanks for the response but I don't want or need 490HP. AFAIK, the stock Expy bottom end won't hold up much past about 400; the crank and rods were not designed to carry that load. I would be quite happy with near 400HP and 375TQ. I think I could get there with headwork and cams and the bottom end would hold up as well.

I prefer supercharging to turbos and I suppose I could go the supercharge route and keep the boost down and achieve the same thing; don't know.

Only 40K miles on this engine; it's bone stock, runs good, has never used a drop of oil and the last road trip I got 18mpg running 75-80mph. In town mileage still sucks, 14mpg, but I don't want to get rid of the vehicle. Would like to make some cosmetic changes, tires/wheels, lower and paint grey side panels and bumbers black to match. Just thinking engine upgrades to compliment the cosmetic stuff.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heads and cams help top end but your low end will suffer.... supercharger is the way to go but you will need something special since SC kits are hard to come by for your truck....

OP
OP
D

djljr

Reaction score
Originally posted by green03
heads and cams help top end but your low end will suffer.... supercharger is the way to go but you will need something special since SC kits are hard to come by for your truck....

OK, recommendations? where to buy? who can install? I want to start with a chip, per my other post; that might be enough.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I ever decide to replace the 5.4L 2V engine in my 04 Expy, I would put in a 12V Cummins. If you want a real difference, I don't see any point in messing around with half measures. IMO.