Heat Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redbone

Reaction score
I have a 2000 expy with rear heat and air.
I just replaced both intake gaskets because they were leaking. This is a 5.4 by the way.
I put in a new t-stat in the process.
The problem is the front heat is fair but the rear is almost not at all.
I had this problem before the new t-stat.
Also put in a new heater core last summer. Thanks<><

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get the radiator fluid changed...help my wifes car when it was taking forever for the heat to get warm...

OP
OP
redbone

redbone

Reaction score
Just changed coolant and t-stat when new intake gaskets were installed last saturday.<><

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bypass that rear heat....its cheaper. your going to have problems all the time.just keep heat up front....fancy chit just breaks.

these trucks with air ride,rear heat/ac...couple other thingys just cause problems when truck gets 2b 9-12 yrs old....1st generations expeditions were best trucks....no nonsense.

OP
OP
redbone

redbone

Reaction score
No one knows?

For a help forum I can't get any. I have a 2000 Expy with the 5.4. There is almost no heat coming from the rear heater & only a little more in the front. The front heater core was replaced last year. Neither front or rear core is leaking. It has new antifreeze and a new t-stat. Temperature is halfway between cold and hot. Autozone said it could be the heater control valve, but there is not one anywhere along the heater hoses under the hood. Could it be in the dashboard? Could this be a blend door or blend door actuator? I was told by the Ford dealer's parts man there is 5 different blend doors. Is this right & which one could it be?
I would appreciate someone that knows or has had this problem before to help out. Thanks<><

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
was it a ford t stat? alwas use a ford stat

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the front has one blend door and I believe the rear has a seperate blend door. Easy way to check the front one is to turn the heat settings from hot to cold and you should be able to hear the door open and close... usually with a blend door you get either full cold or full hot since the door will be stuck in either direction.... if it is a blend door you have two choices.... one pull out dash to get to blend door or you can look up "heatertreater" which cuts into the phluem (sp?) box behind the glove box and replaces blend door with a 2 piece metal door.... this is what I have done...

however for both front and rear heat not to be working I would think it would be something besides both doors being broke... I would also use a "ford" t-stat because using non oem parts can sometimes cause more problems... not always but sometimes.... I would almost think it has something to do with heater core or coolant.. I know you said they were changed but I would think that if both are not working the problem lies somewhere in the begging of the "heat" process

not a mechanic but trying to help with my mechanical knowledge...lol