Heater/Defroster fan stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CactusMatt

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer. Recently, I have some weird (maybe stuck relay?) issue where:

a) no display works on heater/air-conditioner controls -- display is dark.
b) no heater/air-conditioner controls seem to work at all -- no effect on any buttons.
c) Defroster fan is stuck on 'high' (loudest) setting, blowing warm air

Pulling the fuse for the heater/air-conditioner, and re-inserting the fuse seems to 'clear' this problem, and unit then works as expected (controls responsive, display correct, fan turns off, etc.) But then when I turn off the car completely, and turn it back on; the whole sequence reverts to that described above (fan stuck on, no controls, etc.)

Are there any suggestions on what I might try -- fixed! It turns out that there is a 5A fuse (fuse 2 located under left-front dash area) that was blown (actually, taken out by my mechanic). This fuse controls a half-dozen things, but amongst them is environmental (climate) control. Without this fuse in-place, the environmental controls will be completely in-operable.

Thanks,
-Matt

Last edited: