Hellwig Front Bushing Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a quick update on my sway bar experience. I have posted in another thread about noises I've been experiencing, turns out it was the end links from what I can tell. Here's my post from that thread.

----------------

So it appears I have figured out both of the noises. at least I believe so. After pulling off the front wheels/tires, double checking everything I could including taking off my skid plates, checking everything under them, checking intercooler, checking exhaust, etc, I decided that the only thing that's changed in quite a while was putting on the Moog sway bar end links. So I decided to take off the two front Moog links, and put my Energy Suspension parts back on. Tightened everything up and tested it on the curb, and sure enough the front noise appears to be gone.

Then, on the back, to help troubleshoot, I just disconnected the rear sway bar, from the Moog links, and tested on the curb, voila, noise gone. So I readjusted the rears, cranked them down real tight and so far the noise is gone.

They were all very tight before, the only thing I can think of is that the studs on the Moog links are definitely smaller in diameter than the holes on the aftermarket sway bars. I'm a little curious if that diameter difference creates a situation where they might exhibit this popping behavior over time. They are still tight, but they begin to move inside the holes. Just a mere thought. So for now, I'll leave it this way, but I'd like to get the moog's working again.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a quick update on my sway bar experience. I have posted in another thread about noises I've been experiencing, turns out it was the end links from what I can tell. Here's my post from that thread.

----------------

So it appears I have figured out both of the noises. at least I believe so. After pulling off the front wheels/tires, double checking everything I could including taking off my skid plates, checking everything under them, checking intercooler, checking exhaust, etc, I decided that the only thing that's changed in quite a while was putting on the Moog sway bar end links. So I decided to take off the two front Moog links, and put my Energy Suspension parts back on. Tightened everything up and tested it on the curb, and sure enough the front noise appears to be gone.

Then, on the back, to help troubleshoot, I just disconnected the rear sway bar, from the Moog links, and tested on the curb, voila, noise gone. So I readjusted the rears, cranked them down real tight and so far the noise is gone.

They were all very tight before, the only thing I can think of is that the studs on the Moog links are definitely smaller in diameter than the holes on the aftermarket sway bars. I'm a little curious if that diameter difference creates a situation where they might exhibit this popping behavior over time. They are still tight, but they begin to move inside the holes. Just a mere thought. So for now, I'll leave it this way, but I'd like to get the moog's working again.
I remember @DWs-TTEB recommended 35lbft on the Energy Suspension and it was significantly tighter then I would have done on my own "guess". That makes me think the Moog links on the rear might not be tightened enough. However, I've had no problems with noises, front or rear. Cross fingers it all stays good.....

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got around to putting the warranty replacement Hellwig front bushings and brackets on. I had significant chattering and clunking at slow speeds and over curb sized bumps. I had tried the energy suspension ones someone mentioned above and they didn’t help, perhaps made it worse. I also installed new MOOG greaseable endlinks today since I had it all apart. Between the two changes I’m completely silent again. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
K

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got around to putting the warranty replacement Hellwig front bushings and brackets on. I had significant chattering and clunking at slow speeds and over curb sized bumps. I had tried the energy suspension ones someone mentioned above and they didn’t help, perhaps made it worse. I also installed new MOOG greaseable endlinks today since I had it all apart. Between the two changes I’m completely silent again. Hope this helps.

Most likely the end links were the issue then.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely the end links were the issue then.
Perhaps, they were from 2/22, but showing pretty significant rust, which is why I replaced them. Bad problem solving, but problem solved, nonetheless.

WALoeIII

Reaction score
Replacement Hellwig bushings survived about 6,000 miles before the clunking returned. Currently running the Prothane Universal Sway Bar Bushings - 38mm

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ditched my hellwig front bushings after maybe 10k miles. I should have done this a while ago. I with the OP's suggestion on bushings and the work like a champ.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My front bar is pounding like crazy on every harsh crack in the road. Ive swapped new Hellwig bushings in within the last 5,000 miles and they still made noise. Is it likely my end links by the sounds of it?

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My front bar is pounding like crazy on every harsh crack in the road. Ive swapped new Hellwig bushings in within the last 5,000 miles and they still made noise. Is it likely my end links by the sounds of it?

Did you reuse the stock ones?

I upgraded the the ones someone recommended in the hellwig sway bar post.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
My luck ran out. I installed both front and rear Hellwig sway bars on my 2019 Max and have been loving the driving experience. I fell in love with my Expy again, especially after a trip from DC Metro area to Ithaca, NY. It was such a different experience experience from my previous trip. Anyway I am back home and the noise from what appears to be both front and rear bushings started. It is driving my crazy (and tired of my wife asking "what is that noise"), so I am about to purchase a set of replacements.

However before I do, wanted to confirm that the Energy Suspension bushings (need to part number for both front and read) are still the choice setup. Thank you in advance for your input/guidance.