Help front end noise driving me crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moforest

Reaction score
Ok I have a 2011 ford expedition that I purchased 2 weeks ago. 4x4 xl with 5.4. 140k.

Purchased it from a private party. It has had a growling humming noise in the front end sounds like it is coming from the drivers side.

Here is what I have done so far. New rotors pads and new front hubs on both sides. Still have the noise. So today I replaced caliper on drivers side. As I had more brake dust on left side. But that is most likely because during my first test drive I accidentally had the pads swapped. With the pads with the ears on the outside. I only drove it a couple of miles and then put them in the correct way. Also 4*4 is working fine. Iwe engage when truck is off and vacuum is off obviously. Hubs actuator are locked in. When I start the truck they release like the are supposed to and the CV do not turn. When I put it in 4x4 it works like it should. I am really dumbfounded. No change in noise that I can tell whether it is in 4*4 or not. This is my first Ford and I am getting pretty frustrated... Please help. I think my next step is to get it on a lift somewhere where I can listen. Others have stated that it can be a rear wheel bearing but it really sounds like it is coming from the front. Ideas please

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Ok I have a 2011 ford expedition that I purchased 2 weeks ago. 4x4 xl with 5.4. 140k.

Purchased it from a private party. It has had a growling humming noise in the front end sounds like it is coming from the drivers side.

Here is what I have done so far. New rotors pads and new front hubs on both sides. Still have the noise. So today I replaced caliper on drivers side. As I had more brake dust on left side. But that is most likely because during my first test drive I accidentally had the pads swapped. With the pads with the ears on the outside. I only drove it a couple of miles and then put them in the correct way. Also 4*4 is working fine. Iwe engage when truck is off and vacuum is off obviously. Hubs actuator are locked in. When I start the truck they release like the are supposed to and the CV do not turn. When I put it in 4x4 it works like it should. I am really dumbfounded. No change in noise that I can tell whether it is in 4*4 or not. This is my first Ford and I am getting pretty frustrated... Please help. I think my next step is to get it on a lift somewhere where I can listen. Others have stated that it can be a rear wheel bearing but it really sounds like it is coming from the front. Ideas please
I'd be willing to bet the hub is the cause. I say that because I just repaired the same issue today. The hub gears were rubbing but when I spun the shaft in 2 wheel it was fine, spin the wheel in 4 wheel the hub locked without issue(the hub worked 100%). It only made the sound while driving and stopped if I locked the hubs. Put it in 4 wheel auto or 4 high. If it stops ita the hub

OP
OP
M

Moforest

Reaction score
The sound does
I'd be willing to bet the hub is the cause. I say that because I just repaired the same issue today. The hub gears were rubbing but when I spun the shaft in 2 wheel it was fine, spin the wheel in 4 wheel the hub locked without issue(the hub worked 100%). It only made the sound while driving and stopped if I locked the hubs. Put it in 4 wheel auto or 4 high. If it stops ita the hub

It does not seem to go away when I have it in 4 a or 4hi though. Sounds like a draging noise. Kinda like a rotor dragging but I don't think that it is since I have replaced both rotor an caliper.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The sound does

It does not seem to go away when I have it in 4 a or 4hi though. Sounds like a draging noise. Kinda like a rotor dragging but I don't think that it is since I have replaced both rotor an caliper.
I'm telling ya it something with the hub. I literally had my drivers side hub out today for the same exact problem. I cleaned and greased the hub, cleaned and greased the splines and pulled a vacuum on it while installing like Ford recommends. My issue is gone

Fyi these hubs are only a few months old and I'm assuming I didn't get them splined correctly when I did my lower control arm bushings a few weeks ago but the sound just started. Its much easier to guarantee that are splined correctly when you pull a vacuum on them

I also replaced the check valve for the IWE today. I had much better vacuum at the hubs after

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moforest you mention replacing hub/bearings. Have you replaced an IWE? This is what is often partially engaging causing grinding. It’s important to note the hub lock actuator is not part of the hub/bearings assembly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Moforest

Reaction score
I did not inspect the hub actuators when I replaced the hubs. I have a mighty vac vacuum pump I guess I could test for vacuum bleed. I think I will pick up the check valve and solenoid and see if that makes a difference. I already am in$500 I hate to keep spending and not figure it out.

OP
OP
M

Moforest

Reaction score
So to update everyone. I took it to a local private shop. Put it on a lift. Ended up being a toasted case bearing. Mechanic said he had never seen that before ended up replacing all of the bearings and seals in the differential. $850 later it's back and running sort of except for my new coolant leak issue errgg. Hdid say that he did not see any water in the differential or any rust he was not sure what the issue could be.