Help! New phone, no radio display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobmc

Reaction score
I'm going to try just re-melting the existing solder, rather than desoldering all those pins and resoldering with new. Hopefully, that will re-establish a good connection (if in fact that is the problem)

I'm also interested in theJ-shaped ground spring he mentions. Poor grounds seem to be a recurring theme with electrical problems. I don't think the video mentioned this. Maybe why it didn't work?

And of course give the board a good going-over as the guy in the video does.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to try just re-melting the existing solder, rather than desoldering all those pins and resoldering with new. Hopefully, that will re-establish a good connection (if in fact that is the problem)

I'm also interested in theJ-shaped ground spring he mentions. Poor grounds seem to be a recurring theme with electrical problems. I don't think the video mentioned this. Maybe why it didn't work?

And of course give the board a good going-over as the guy in the video does.
Thats called "re-flowing". After the solder turns to a liquid, hold the iron on the contact for ~10 seconds to allow the board and the component lead to heat up further. This will help to prevent a cold solder joint, which fails pretty quickly after a few thermal cycles.

OP
OP
H

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some good news. I was riding with my wife today and the display came back on. I had her pull over and started the pairing. I got it done but the display went out before I could make it the main phone. Because of that, it won't download her phonebook. Is there any way to make it the main phone without the display?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some good news. I was riding with my wife today and the display came back on. I had her pull over and started the pairing. I got it done but the display went out before I could make it the main phone. Because of that, it won't download her phonebook. Is there any way to make it the main phone without the display?

Nope. Again. Get the display fixed. Problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mmart

Reaction score
I have a 2010 EB, my display went dead but the buttons still worked. For what it’s worth I would avoid the soldering. The pins for the back of the display panel are really close together and were machine installed. I’m experienced with soldering and attempted to re-solder the joint but it made the problem worse because that ended up bridging pin connections and that caused the buttons to stop working properly.
Pull the radio and get the part number from the side and search eBay. I was able to just replace the face plate of the unit instead of the whole thing and it only cost me about $20. I reused the faceplate from my original unit and just swapped the circuit boards. All you need is a small screwdriver to get the board off the back of the display panel. Many Ford/Mercury share the same type of plate

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362912907296

OP
OP
H

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finall got it done. The lights came on long enough to make the changes. Thanks for all your help. I might try the solder thing.