Help! P0172, p0301, p0302, p0303, p0430, p2196

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepfix

Reaction score
05 Ford Expedition EB
129,000 miles
5.4 L

Dealer and I believe it's a stuck fuel injector on either #1, #2, and/or #3. They said you have to pull the intake manifold to determine though. Expy's sitting in my garage. Anyone ever pull the fuel rail on the bank 1 side? Please PM me your phone #. I want to know how to do it and how to check to see if it's a stuck fuel injector.

I've already gone through #8 stuck fuel injector at ~100K miles and was able to use extended service warranty. Now, it's out of warranty so the bill is on me.

Swetrid

Reaction score
It will be injectors, I would replace all the injectors on bank 1. They are only $35 a piece from Rockauto.

OP
OP
J

jeepfix

Reaction score
Amazing! Thank you for the link Msport.

I pulled the bank 1 fuel rail last night and turned the key to prime the fuel pump. #1 was pouring fuel out. replaced #1 last night along with new oil and filter. Could not get plug out with my small tool set even tough #1 is only a month old from prior service. Started but not without 5 seconds of cranking on a pretty low battery (I think my battery is about dead and needs replacing). It started but it's blowing white to a bluish smoke out exhaust. Still not running very well.

Pulled fuel rail again and repeated priming and 1-4 injectors were operating fine.

Now I wonder if #2 and #3 could be stuck closed. I will need to see about renting one of those testing devices.

I know I could have major engine damage but I don't want to go there yet.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
(I think my battery is about dead and needs replacing).

I would make that a priority!!!
Low voltage on the system can do all sorts of crazy things. If your battery is bad enough, even the alternator wont keep it at 13+ volts. Low volts and computers are a bad combo...

OP
OP
J

jeepfix

Reaction score
Update and hopeful conclusion:

Replaced the #1 spark plug. It was only a month old and actually had crud all over it. I also charged the expy battery off my wife's car. Then started the Expy with my wife's car battery still jumper-cabled to it. Cranked a little but fired and went to a higher (typical cold start) RPM. Idle came down. Idled okay not perfect at first but it cleared up. Best news is no smoke. Still smell strong fuel smell when started in garage for a good 30 minutes even after pulling it out. Idle was normal after about 1 minute. No CEL. Afraid to drive it far but did a couple cul-de-sac circles and seems to be normal - even sounds normal. It's just unbelievable considering I thought for sure I damaged something when I tried driving it home and that puff of smoke came out tailpipe.

I highly recommend everyone changing their fuel injectors at 100K. We may not keep the car so I'm not putting any more money in it.

If anyone needs fuel injector help, I feel like i'm a pro now. PM me.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I would make that a priority!!!
Low voltage on the system can do all sorts of crazy things. If your battery is bad enough, even the alternator wont keep it at 13+ volts. Low volts and computers are a bad combo...
I would check the alternator also, low voltage will not pulse the injectors correctly

OP
OP
J

jeepfix

Reaction score
Update:

Still running great. New battery this weekend and no problems.

CEL is back on but it code P0430 = bank 2 catalyst system efficiency below threshold. I can hear pieces of the cat rattling around when I punch the gas and a few pieces have even fallen out the tail pipe driving down the road. Besides this, it runs perfectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1