Help with "Brown Wire Mod"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
It's been about a month or so now and I have averaged 15.5-16.5 town/country driving. I have seen 18.5-19 on the highway at 68-72 mph

I can't contribute all of this to the "2hi mod" because I have been trying to drive with a much lighter foot I do not let the tach go past 2500 rpm and when I feel a shift coming I lightly let off the throttle, it seems to help a lot but I still love knowing that I am only in 2 hi and not constantly slipping clutches in the transfer case

Since you have a 2000 expy if you disconnect power from the A4wd it just keeps the transfer case from engaging the clutch as mentioned. Generally the vehicle is in 2wd mode unless slip is sensed via the gem module/anti lock brake sensors. It should make no appreciable difference in fuel milage as the complete front drivetrain is still spinning down to inside the transfer case because the wheels are spinning. Its just cannot apply power to the front drivetrain if the rear wheels were to spin.

My guess is its your driving style. I have pulled the fuse disabling my A4wd and noticed no difference in fuel milage myself.

Unfortunately we lack the center axle disconnect of the earlier expys and IWE's of the later ones that would keep the front drivetrain from spinning creating additional drag.

OP
OP
I

Irwin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is its your driving style. I have pulled the fuse disabling my A4wd and noticed no difference in fuel mileage myself.

Unfortunately we lack the center axle disconnect of the earlier expys and IWE's of the later ones that would keep the front drivetrain from spinning creating additional drag.

I agree- it would be very nice to have a CAD, and no, I don't completely attribute the fuel mpg increase to the inline switch.

Like I said before, the biggest benefit for me is knowing that anytime the abs rings speed do not match my transfer case doesn't slip a clutch.

I understand ford made these to last a "lifetime" but I feel that the A4WD kicks on more than one would actually realize, and in my opinion it's an unecessary soccer mom frill.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I agree- it would be very nice to have a CAD, and no, I don't completely attribute the fuel mpg increase to the inline switch.

Like I said before, the biggest benefit for me is knowing that anytime the abs rings speed do not match my transfer case doesn't slip a clutch.

I understand ford made these to last a "lifetime" but I feel that the A4WD kicks on more than one would actually realize, and in my opinion it's an unecessary soccer mom frill.

I see it as backwards from the way you describe it. The clutch is generally not engaged. It engages only when it does sense slip (A4wd). It will then vary the duty cycle then so you may turn. If its locked you cannot turn without the tires slipping.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score

I agree it kicks on far more often than most might realize but the only real disadvantage there since the front drivetrain is spinning anyways is the feel while turning. You can feel it come in and out... First time you notice it your like :think: :wtf:

Last edited:

Hooch33

Reaction score
It's been about a month or so now and I have averaged 15.5-16.5 town/country driving. I have seen 18.5-19 on the highway at 68-72 mph

I can't contribute all of this to the "2hi mod" because I have been trying to drive with a much lighter foot I do not let the tach go past 2500 rpm and when I feel a shift coming I lightly let off the throttle, it seems to help a lot but I still love knowing that I am only in 2 hi and not constantly slipping clutches in the transfer case

You are getting 18-19 MPG out of a 5.4 Expedition? Im having a hard time believing this.

OP
OP
I

Irwin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are getting 18-19 MPG out of a 5.4 Expedition? Im having a hard time believing this.

Throttle in moderation. Get to speed quick but not obnoxiously. I don't let it shift past 2500rpm. I also drive a bit slower than most.

The biggest key to my mpgs I believe is/was maintenance. All bearings have been replaced, All fluids are fairly new and synthetic if possible.

The biggest thing for me is this rig is paid for, I drive a lot more than most so I need this to be as efficient as possible. If that means driving a touch slower than the norm that's ok by me.

The best mpg ever was a trip from Dundee MI to Oscoda MI. 21.2 on the highway round trip.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Throttle in moderation. Get to speed quick but not obnoxiously. I don't let it shift past 2500rpm. I also drive a bit slower than most.

The biggest key to my mpgs I believe is/was maintenance. All bearings have been replaced, All fluids are fairly new and synthetic if possible.

The biggest thing for me is this rig is paid for, I drive a lot more than most so I need this to be as efficient as possible. If that means driving a touch slower than the norm that's ok by me.

The best mpg ever was a trip from Dundee MI to Oscoda MI. 21.2 on the highway round trip.

That is very impressive. I am doing dances in the parking lot when I drive from home to college getting 13 highway haha.

bdt61

Reaction score
I plan on doing this mod pretty soon. Right now, I just keep the fuse pulled out haha. Keeping it in 2wd, I'm seeing an average of 21mpg highway and 14 town

Hooch33

Reaction score
That is very impressive. I am doing dances in the parking lot when I drive from home to college getting 13 highway haha.

yeah totally I highfive myself when I see 13 mpg, but that's only when im going downhill with a tailwind driving 5 feet behind a semi trailer.