Help with Pioneer AVIC-N3 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yank

Reaction score
Have a 2000 EB Expo w Mach Stereo..Replaced it with an N3 nav system and CD changer, installation went OK except I can't get the speed sensor to work. OEM harness had 3 connectors one of which has speed sensor lead on it, used for increasing OEM radio volume as truck speed increased. OEM connector had grey/blk speed sensor wire to it and I tapped into it for speed input to nav system. This OEM connector is not used on new harness adapter installation. When I turn on nav system msg states speed sensor not connected and I'm locked out of all the options that are not available when vehicle in motion...like just about everything, can't even change the time. Manual states that the parking brake input relies on proper speed sensor connection also???? I hooked a +12v lead through a switch to the parking brake input so I could trouble shoot system, no I'm not going to watch DVD's while driving....I wanted the option of passenger to be able to program nav system while car in motion .. When I scroll through hardware set-up, one of few menues I can access, it lists hardware connections and shows speed sensor not hooked up and parking brake is always off, regardless of switch position. Also shows backup conncection fluctuating between high and low which manual says is normal, but it shows that even with the back-up lights off...which is what I tapped into for input...I called Crutchfield tech support and they couldn't help. Appreciate any suggestions or info. I do have access for wiring diagrams from alldatadiy.com, but I have found a few errors in some of their diagrams.
Thanks,
Yank

Senatordan

Reaction score
You can go to Avic411.com. There you will find any help needed for any pioneer nav system broken down by type of stereo etc. I just installed a z2 and it helped a lot.

OP
OP
Y

yank

Reaction score
Senatordan,
Thanks for your help, I had forgotten about the avic411 site. Solved the VSS/back-up connection....loose connectors, my fault, working late at night and I installed the remote unit under the center console and "thought " I had the conectors seated properly. I had positive 12 volts to the light green parking brake input, but that didn't work so went with the complete by-pass and that worked...no I don't watch dvd's while driving...just wanted the ability to access complete menue without having to put parking brake on.
Yank

PaisanNYC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi yank,

I am a moderator over at avic411. I also have the N3 in my 04 Expy. I have the brain to the N3 hidden behind the entire gauge cluster in the dash, and the XM NavTraffic unit hidden behind the center console in the dash. The bypass for full menu functions is real easy. Just ground the green parking brake wire to anything, and flip the switch on the N3 under the foil sticker on the headunit itself. You can either remove the label and void the warranty, or check out the post on avic411 on how to flip the bypass switch with a paperclip and not needing to remove the warranty sticker!

geno001

Reaction score
Hey Paisan,

Do you know if I can replace my factory radio with 6 disk cd in my 04 with the AVIV D3 and still have my factory dvd and steering wheel controls work?

Thanks