Help with replacing Front Sway Bar Linkage on 04.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all..

I am trying to replace both sway bar linkages on my 2004 Expedition. I am able to tighten the top linkage that directory connects to the sway bar. However, I can't use a standard socket because the dang center bolt keeps spinning. I attempted to use an impact wrench, howver, that didnt work either. I also tried using a large offset closed wrench, however, it does not go deep into the lower control arm for any use

Anyone with hints as to how to tighten the nut/bolt when the bolt keeps spinning on the linkage?

Thanks!! :)

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Was suggested on here to push the boot out of the way on the other side and put vise grips on the shaft itself. That worked for me. Putting the new ones in I had a local shop use an impact. Hope this helps, Mike.

OP
OP
mindgame

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Was suggested on here to push the boot out of the way on the other side and put vise grips on the shaft itself. That worked for me. Putting the new ones in I had a local shop use an impact. Hope this helps, Mike.

Thats exactly what I did to remove the linkages :)

Sadly, I have resorted to making an appointment for next Tuesday to install the linkage to the lower controller arm, unless I can find an extra deep deep ofset wrench to hold the bolt, and then use the impact to spin the inner bolt... :(

Thanks mtondreo!

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably be worth it for the appt. I got really frustrated doing it and ended up having someone else torque them down. I was able to get an open-ended wrench to sit up in the control arm and keep it from spinning while I backed out on the center stud (8mm I believe). But yea it was a real pain. Good luck, Mike.

OP
OP
mindgame

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably be worth it for the appt. I got really frustrated doing it and ended up having someone else torque them down. I was able to get an open-ended wrench to sit up in the control arm and keep it from spinning while I backed out on the center stud (8mm I believe). But yea it was a real pain. Good luck, Mike.

Yup... Got a quote from a Matco tool person that has an extra deep offset wrench for 60 bucks! Decided to kill 2 birds... Have Ford re-install the linkage.. and finally, to get my rear a/c vent gear replaced.. Yeah that damn clicking noise...

Thanks for the advice Mike!