Help with tail lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got home from dinner and noticed that my tail lights aren't working and neither is the license plate light. Brake light works and so do turn signals. Anybody have an idea what's wrong?
I drive a 2007 expedition xlt, not sure if that helps.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got home from dinner and noticed that my tail lights aren't working and neither is the license plate light. Brake light works and so do turn signals. Anybody have an idea what's wrong?
I drive a 2007 expedition xlt, not sure if that helps.

Have you changed one or more of the tail or license plate light bulbs to determine if the bulbs are bad?

Since the brake lights are working, there is power to the lamp assemblies.

Do the front running / parking lights work when the headlamp switch is turned on?

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
Check the sockets themselves. They can be prone to moisture and a little corrosion. Use a q-tip to clean out the plugs and inspect the bulb ends for corrosion.

Your going to need a star socket and a long extension to undo the screws found in the rear hatch well to pull the assembly. Pull straight out, not at an angle.

When out check the bulbs for burned out filaments, if ok then clean out the sockets. Remember how the bulbs came out, they are fitted one way.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the sockets themselves. They can be prone to moisture and a little corrosion. Use a q-tip to clean out the plugs and inspect the bulb ends for corrosion.

Your going to need a star socket and a long extension to undo the screws found in the rear hatch well to pull the assembly. Pull straight out, not at an angle.

When out check the bulbs for burned out filaments, if ok then clean out the sockets. Remember how the bulbs came out, they are fitted one way.

If you find one or more tail lamp sockets that are damaged and/or corroded, the sockets are serviced separately from the wiring harness and easy to change.

OP
OP
L

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was moisture, checked everything else, even pulled up the wires on the passenger side. Didn't even think of moisture because I live in Arizona and we don't get a lot of that here. Thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett