Hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schmec

Reaction score
The 5.4 in my 98 Expy will hesitate on take off intermitently if it is lower then 1/4 tank of fuel. I have been super busy and haven't had time to look at it so I keep it full and have no problems. Has anyone had this issue? Fuel filter? Fuel pump? :confused: Thanks in advance for any ideas.
JD

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your the second person this month with that exact problem. The other guy said he replaced the filter and it went away for a few days, then the hesitation returned. He suspected the new filter clogged up.

But to me if it's related the the quantity of fuel in the tank, it could be a pump pick up problem. Also I'd suspect the fuel cap or some other fuel tank pressurization problem related to the emissions system. The tank usually maintains some pressure, and when you first start the engine it does some sort of system check of the valves that send vacuum to the fuel tank to control the pressure caused by heat and fuel evaporating. If the fuel cap is bad you usually get a check engine light. May also get a surging idle.

My 98 explorer had a problem of turning left with less than a 1/4 tank, the engine would stall briefly and suddenly restart. Once it stalled completely and left me facing an oncoming tractor trailer....Not a problem to be taken lightly. We were told by the Ford dealer that Ford had redesigned the fuel pumps in those trucks about 7 times because they couldn't figure out the best fuel pickup design. We put in a new pump which helped, once in a while it still does it.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wht i think it is cause this happens to me when its low and i turn right is the fuel isnt being sucked in cause of where the hose is in the tank. thats what i think. so i just keep its about a quarter.