Hit with $4400 cam phaser bill on my 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tru3anomaly

Reaction score
Unfortunately no good updates for y’all. Got the furthest I could get on the phone and they told me to pound sand. Only option for further escalation is to send a letter to their consumer affairs department. I sent one so we will see what happens.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So which year did they fix this issue??
Based on what I have read on this forum, Ford updated the cam phaser design sometime during the 2020 model year (March?). Did it fix the issue? Unknown at this time until more miles/time goes by. Here is a video showing the differences:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So Damn Disappointing. Engine, Transmission, HVAC, Electronics failures and even Fires!

Been a Ford customer for 35 Years, but simply cannot afford to spend 80 grand on a new truck and then have it tied up for weeks / months with repairs. Def don't have the patience to fight for what should be quickly repaired / resolved problems.

I'm also a stockholder for many years, all shareholders used to get X-Plan pricing, recently took that away. Prolly going to sell the stock as I simply no longer believe in the company.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So Damn Disappointing. Engine, Transmission, HVAC, Electronics failures and even Fires!

Been a Ford customer for 35 Years, but simply cannot afford to spend 80 grand on a new truck and then have it tied up for weeks / months with repairs. Def don't have the patience to fight for what should be quickly repaired / resolved problems.

I'm also a stockholder for many years, all shareholders used to get X-Plan pricing, recently took that away. Prolly going to sell the stock as I simply no longer believe in the company.
Couldn't agree more!! I'm on the fence as to what to do. I have another car I can use, but like having an SUV, especially with the dog and hauling crap (I mean bring home things the wife buys), not to mention bad weather and trips. Thought about out right selling, then what. So underwhelmed with 90% of vehicles today.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had mine done 3 times or maybe even 4 times - I think I had to pay once out of pocket for it only because they were doing the water pump failure replacement and the engine was cracked open. They suggested I do the phaser replacements as it was just a few bucks for parts, which I did. It then failed several times and was caught under the parts warranty. The only reason it was ever on my radar at first (aside from making a ticking sound at startup) was being a member of this forum and reading other posts and topics on the phasers.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What changed between 2017 and 2018 that is causing all of this? I know that fuel injection changed and added port injection was in addition to the direct injection. I also know about the 10-speed auto.

Is this something that happens to 2017 models? I only have 25k miles on mine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni