Hitch mount bike racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What experience are guys having with the rear hitch bike system? What brands?

We have 2 adults, 1 youth, 2 child bikes.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
D3FA4CD0-8356-4499-B75F-F080419DD9E3.jpeg
I have the Yakima Hangover 6
Pro’s
Pretty cheap compared to other carriers. I think I paid $700.00 on a deal of the day site.

When empty you can access the rear glass hatch without laying it back. Laid back the hatch will open.

Hitch lock and cable lock can be keyed the same as my roof rack.

My Expy holds 6 people and the rack will hold 6 bikes.

Con’s
Super Heavy. It’s like 70 lbs. no way my wife is getting it on her car by herself.

Not rated for the weight of Ebike’s.

CAN ONLY BE USED WITH SUSPENSION FORKS!!!!

Also have a Küat NV 2.0.
Pro’s
Well built and good looking.

Can hold E-bikes if only using two trays. Fat tire bikes and up to 50” wheelbase will fit.

Built in bike stand and cable locks.

Easy to load.

Con’s
Expensive, $850.00 for two trays and another $600.00 to add two more. of course shop around. I hardly ever see these for sale used.

If you get the orange one it fades in the sun over time.

Only holds 4 bikes. You would have to put the kid bikes inside the car

If I was to buy a new one today I would get the Velocirax vertical bike rack. They are made local to me in Utah. Very affordable and everyone I know seems to like them. Plus it uses the tire, not the suspension fork so road bikes are good to go.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Friends of ours just got a Lolo, but I don’t like the fact that it can’t be used with rear fenders. So I’m about to order an Alta.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a Thule T2 classic. It’s a 2 bike tray type with the 2 bike add-on for a total of 4 bikes. It has literally thousands of miles on it and still performs like new. Locking cables built in. It’s heavy and bulky but it is also bulletproof. Just spray lube the hinge joint and lever every year or so.
I’ll second the recommendation on the Kuat racks.
Since the Thule is so heavy I bought a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 (also a tray type) for my wife’s car.
It is expensive but you can feel and see the difference right away. Very lightweight but advanced design and premium quality. It is in a whole different league from the Thule.

I have had almost every type of roof mount , trunk mount , hanging, tray etc.. bike rack. I personally love the security and ease of use of the tray type hitch mounted racks. Most of them tilt down to allow access to the hatch on SUV’s.
There is also a swingaway hitch mod you can buy so the whole bike tray swings to the side. I believe Thule or Yakima makes it but it’s very expensive.
for more than 4 bikes? I’d probably do a 4 bike tray and the kids bikes on the roof.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Kuat NV 2.0 and am very happy with it. Bikes are very stable and it has integrated cable locks. I have the 2 bike version, but it's expandable to 4. Child bikes require an adapter, and you'd have to throw one of the child bikes in the back. I never worry about the bikes falling off or getting scratched.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score

We went with that one, have used it a few times. Probably cheaper than the others, but seems to work decent enough hauling our boy's bikes around.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Thule 964 "Revolver". It's designed with 2 pivots to allow the entire rack with up to 4 bikes to swing completely out of the way of the liftgate; so, you can simultaneously load/unload bikes on the rack and gear through the hatch; or, if you have to get to something in the rear of the vehicle while on the road you don't have to untie the bikes. Just unscrew one knob, lift a latch and swing all of the bikes out of the way until they are parallel to the right quarter panel. I used to drop about 2 mpg with bikes on the F-series due to increased drag; but, I didn't drop any fuel economy at all with the '20 Expedition MAX. My Revolver is about 10 or 12 years old. Looks like they have replaced it with the Thule XT Swing 4, and Thule site says they are "temporarily out of stock"....like 20 ga shot shells and $3 2x4's. https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-apex-xt-swing-4-_-9027xt

Being able to load/unload bikes while someone else loads/unloads the back of the MAX is a time saver. Or, to avoid unloading/reloading the bikes just open the liftgate for any reason is handy.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lolo racks built in Portland. Heavy as heck but strap your bikes on and send it on a Raptor at full boogy and your bikes will arrive just fine. 6 bikes!!!
Excuse the lingo but zero eeefing plastic!!!!!
Kuat can suck it for $500

Attachments

• 767C8F75-1A48-41C5-B794-ADD35395B0E8.jpeg
    767C8F75-1A48-41C5-B794-ADD35395B0E8.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reaction score
VelociRAX!!!

I also have Yakima Hangover 6 like Fozzy and a makeshift Hangover 4 on another vehicle. They are great options for adult bikes with suspension forks. That being said, VelociRAX is practically the only vertical style rack system that will hold everything from 20" kids bikes to 29" adult bikes regardless of suspension forks and including 3" plus tires without needing additional accessories or changing parts. Comparable models from Alta Racks and North Shore are 3 - 5 hundred dollars more.

You can purchase a 7 place bike rack from VelociRAX which is awesome considering the Expi can haul the people and most vertical racks tap out at 6. A 7x rack for under $900.00 is a steal. All metal and engineered / tested for off road use.

I like my Yakima, but without hesitation I would purchase the VelociRAX 7x tomorrow if I was looking again. This is a Utah company and Utah is Mt Bike Central. You see every style and type of hitch bike rack by the dozens around town and you wouldn't believe the rate at which VelociRAX are becoming the popular choice.