Hitch mount bike racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All look like great choices. Has anyone gone with a roof rack system?

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All look like great choices. Has anyone gone with a roof rack system?
Look at the Yakima Front Loader. It doesn’t touch your frame or forks so if you have a carbon bike it’s not getting rubbed through.

Roof racks are a pain if you use them a lot. Maybe ok for a long trip where you go somewhere and stay a few days. Or if you need the hitch for your boat or storage pod. Going to the ski resort or taking the bikes to a trail head all the time it gets very tiresome getting them on and off. Especially with a tall SUV. A car it’s not bad. I had a rack on my F-150 that bolted to the bed and use the through bolt. It was very secure and stable. But sucked taking the front tires on and off. Ended up just using the tailgate cover. I’m all about it being simple and easy. That’s why it’s hard to beat a vertical or tray system.

Reaction score
I can't imagine it being easy or efficient to use a roof mounted bike rack on a tall car like an Expedition. It seems like it would be enough of a hassle for one bike on each side and nearly impossible for multiple bikes without a ladder and long arms.

I have used and owned some variation of practically every style of bike hauling system and rack over many years.
1- Without a doubt (in my opinion) a truck bed with tailgate cover is the absolute easiest and preferred system there is. Even a thick blanket on a tailgate beats most other methods for quick hauls and shuttle laps.
2- No truck... my next favorite has easily been vertical hitch racks.
3- Hitch mounted trays are third. Trays are dialed when you always load the same bikes, but most have some necessity to readjust and move parts when you load different sized and styles of bikes for different rides with different people. Cheap trays are a huge pain and Good trays like 1Up and Kuat that adjust easier cost as much or more then a good vertical set-up.
4- After that... roof mounted I guess.
5- Any other rack that uses the top tube or another method to hang and haul bikes.

The above is clearly just my opinion and a lot of the downsides to my less favorite styles are simply first world problem concerns. In the end, if you can haul some bikes and enjoy life, you'll be happy enough with the solution. If you get caught up in efficiencies and little details, take a serious look at the list and consider the pros and cons and spend the money for a good product. The cheap products which still cost a surprising amount always have frustrating aspects.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have the Allen as well for a family of 4 mountain bikes. It's a tight squeeze, but we can get them all on securely, and have hauled them several hundred miles on it. Definitely not as nice as my buddy's Yakima, but it certainly gets the job done on a budget.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I currently have a Yakima Hangover and don't love it. It carries 6 bikes so it does the job and the price was nice but I don't love it. I also have a Thule T2 with extension to hold 4 bikes and it is fine but only fits 4 bikes. It usually is on the back of my jeep. I keep saying I am going to get rid of it but I still have it.

I occasionally do need to carry 7 bikes and for that I have a Yakima front loader I can put on the roof. It is a nice bike rack but the expedition is really tall and it is NOT easy to get bikes into it. I have to carry an aluminum work platform to stand on to get bikes on and off. I am fine with it for occasional use but that is it.

Like mentioned, the Velocirax 7 is going to be my next rack. I have friends with them and they are the nicest Large rack I have ever used. They are super heavy though, that is the biggest draw back. The weight is warranted for sure but it is heavy. I have used pretty much all the racks out there and if you need to carry a lot of bikes this is the best option.

I personally don't care for the Hangover, the Lolo, the north shore, or the Alta Rack. I am not sure what exactly I don't like about the Alta rack, it just feels sort of lacking to me and they don't offer a 7 bike option. The recon rack is super nice and I would get one of those if he offered a 7 place rack.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I currently have a Yakima Hangover and don't love it. It carries 6 bikes so it does the job and the price was nice but I don't love it. I also have a Thule T2 with extension to hold 4 bikes and it is fine but only fits 4 bikes. It usually is on the back of my jeep. I keep saying I am going to get rid of it but I still have it.

I occasionally do need to carry 7 bikes and for that I have a Yakima front loader I can put on the roof. It is a nice bike rack but the expedition is really tall and it is NOT easy to get bikes into it. I have to carry an aluminum work platform to stand on to get bikes on and off. I am fine with it for occasional use but that is it.

Like mentioned, the Velocirax 7 is going to be my next rack. I have friends with them and they are the nicest Large rack I have ever used. They are super heavy though, that is the biggest draw back. The weight is warranted for sure but it is heavy. I have used pretty much all the racks out there and if you need to carry a lot of bikes this is the best option.

I personally don't care for the Hangover, the Lolo, the north shore, or the Alta Rack. I am not sure what exactly I don't like about the Alta rack, it just feels sort of lacking to me and they don't offer a 7 bike option. The recon rack is super nice and I would get one of those if he offered a 7 place rack.
Holy ****, the VR is heavier than the hangover 6! What we talking a 100lbs.? My only real complaint about the HO6 is suspension fork only. They redid the straps and added one so it a little more secure. But I love the VR. I have to admit I am kinda interested in the Alta hammock attachment. To bad they are priced so high. VR has an amazing rack at a pretty good price. I have only seen a Recon on a sprinter in Park City. Looked nice

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holy ****, the VR is heavier than the hangover 6! What we talking a 100lbs.? My only real complaint about the HO6 is suspension fork only. They redid the straps and added one so it a little more secure. But I love the VR. I have to admit I am kinda interested in the Alta hammock attachment. To bad they are priced so high. VR has an amazing rack at a pretty good price. I have only seen a Recon on a sprinter in Park City. Looked nice
My Thule XT2 Pro with 2 bike extension is about 100lbs…

Xiejol

Reaction score
I've got a Thule T2 Pro XTR for 4 bikes. It's solid, but big. My wife has a hard time lifting it up when it's empty and she needs in the back. I love the tilt down feature so I can open the hatch with bikes loaded. I also like the expanding bolt that locks it in place. Hate moving it around off the vehicle. I actually built a rolling holder for it to transport it to/from the car. I've had a few different carriers and this is my favorite. I will say I was really looking at this model or a Kuat and really only bought the Thule because I found it in stock during Covid lockdown. I've got a friend with an Expy and a roof rack and it works him as long as he never goes through a drive through or parks in a garage and he carries a ladder with him. rack02.jpgrack01.jpgPXL_20210707_161026471.jpgPXL_20210707_160929698.jpg

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they list the VR7 at 105#. Price has come way down on them it looks like. When we went to pick up my buddies, the guy was still running the stuff out of his garage and would order a set qty at a time and sell them until they were gone then place another production order. I think he has gone all in now and has a lot more coming in and was able to reduce costs and sell them cheaper. I think my buddy paid 1200ish for his 6 place.

My Thule T2 classic with the extension weighs about 85#. I think the hangover 6 is around 75#. The new ******** the hangover looks better than the ones on my rack. A few of my kids bikes (Woom off 4,5,6) don't have suspension forks and I can make it work with some of my own straps added but it is a hassle. A lot of people on the mountain bike team with us have the Alta racks and seem to like them. Everyone I know that has a hangover doesn't like it much.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP has 5 bikes to carry! This was my problem w/minimal options available. The kids have quickly outgrown the smaller bikes that are a little dodgy on it. 6 bikes on any vehicle with 2" receiver and it'll hold up to much abuse. I know! The 1/2" heater hose for handlebar padding is a bit worn when I was dragging my bike along I-70 in MO. Easy to replace that and the bungies are still going strong for me, even after that mishap. I have spares in case needed.

Go Lolo...
Thread 'Lolo Bike Rack' https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/lolo-bike-rack.40643/

you can also grab **** out of the back from the glass without any fuss if you aren't a fat ***.

It held up great last summer from PA to MT and almost back to PA on the back of my camper...until Missouri! The Lolo was definitely not the weak spot and I got a sweet new rim and some other components for my bike (the longest one ). Lots of sparks! Sadly, won't be putting it on the camper again cause the frame is welded/repaired/**** now, but, Lolo is definitely the best option for my family... I used it on a really rutted and rough road on the expy out in MT and the bikes were rock solid the whole time. Low fuss to take them on and off, too. Highly recommended